Computers !!!

CMF_Dark Side

» CMF Member
Ah well my desktop died today. 6 years old.Computer guy reckons its had a fair run.Luckily I have everything backed up.Went into the bowels of my junk and pulled out my trusty Toshibi Satellite 4030 CDT complete with Windows 98.
It will not die. I have carted this thing all over Asia for years and years.Luckily it has a thingo thing D Link something or other jammed in the side so it can talk to my modem.
Now you computer geeks what do i buy beraing in mind I run ADSL complete with VOIP.Nothing over the top and around $1200 bucks?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Planning on taking it overseas?

Honestly (and I'm a dead set hardcore geek who won't get caught owning one of these myself but they're fantastic value) you can't look past what Dell offer. Complete computer systems that are of more than adequate performance and made of pretty good bits and pieces.

Can't ask for much more? Yes.. You can.

What about technical support and long warrenty? Dell offers both these things for not much more over the base price of the PC. I don't care what most people will tell you, good luck getting warrenty replacements on ANY part over 12 months old. I've worked in the PC parts 'industry' and suppliers here in australia basically disown the parts after 12 months. Some computer shops will be nice to you and replace parts on the spot without question.. But many will not as they're not under any oligation to do so. So basically if a part fails you will have to expect a MINIMUM of 1 week downtime if something DOES die (and they CAN and DO). This is no good if you've got kids doing assignments.

With a Dell this does not happen. If you optioned up the right package you simply call them and when they determine over the phone there's a problem they will dispatch a tech to come out and get it going again. Your PC will usually be alive again within the next 2 days (they say 24 hours but realistically I'd say 48hrs).

Thats really their main selling point - and its a bloody good important one. Look into it. www.dell.com.au

And if you watch carefully everynow and again there's some fantastic deals. Dell give away all sorts of upgrades every so often for absolutely nothing. Recently I set up some family friends with a VERY powerful system and dell gave us a 21" widescreen LCD and an inkjet printer for $5 extra. Yes, $5 extra. Along with that they also had a free upgrade to 1GB of ram at the time. I was shocked to put it simply as I could not have put a system together like that at the price they got it for with retail hardware pricings (and I definately could not have offered the 3 year warrenty and tech support dell offered for only $99).

I know some hardcore computer jocks will disagree with me but they're probably young and innocent - no offense to them. Not been exposed to the real world and how annoying it is when you're not the most computer savvy person in the world and you can't troubleshoot driver issues as easily as they can pick their nose!

Cheers

CMF_Dark Side

» CMF Member
Same as here.And their broadband speeds leave ours for dead.Their phone system was upgraded very recently and the main contractor was Telstra.Everyone I know over there who has a computer has VOIP.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Sweet. Although I'm a little worried to hear that Telstra is doing work in other countries knowing their standard of work here.. LOL

I'm honestly not sure of Dell's OS warranty. Im thinking your best bet for something that is supported in Vietnam is HP. But they're the spawn of satan so I'm hesidant to say go with them.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
i use dell at work here and have been dealing with them for years now..warranty/service is always good..parts on time..etc.

if anyone who isn't really computer savy is looking for a PC/laptop i just recommend them now..

agree with tom..

CMF_Dark Side

» CMF Member
Looked up the Dell website of countries they are in and Vietnam not listed.
I will ask a mate in Vietnam.
Thanks guys for your input. I know HP are big there but not sure if I buy it in Aussie if warranty goes with it to Vietnam.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
I've built up my own pc's in the past. That's beside the point, just establishing my creds.
I cannot argue about Dell's warrenty and pricing however I will say that after using my mates 8 yr old Mac that if I ever need a new computer it wont be a pc or Windows, it will be a Mac.

His mac has never failed or crashed,, ever,, in the 8 yrs he has had it. Mac software is light yrs ahead of Windows and far less buggy. Microsoft is only trying to do now with Vista what Mac is already doing with their os.

Mychael

Back