Recurring starting problem

K

kuang

Hi folks - just found this site, and was hoping somebody could offer some advice :)

My 95 SLX refused to start a couple of months ago - there was plenty of charge and the engine was turning over but just not catching. We towed it to my mechanics place who couldn't find anything at all wrong, and came to the conclusion that the engine management computer might have taken a nosedive. We managed to find a replacement, fitted it, and everything worked fine.

Well, this morning exactly the same thing happened again. I can't believe that my Micra has that sort of appetite for engine management computers, so I wondered if anyone had any idea what else might be causing this? It's not a habit that I can afford to fund, and I'm too attached to the car now to palm it off on someone else ;)

Cheers in advance!

You have most likely flooded it, try removing the fuel pump fuse, then cranking it for a while, replacing the fuse and you should be fine :)

Spot on, thanks :)

I think I've noticed a pattern here - each time it's happened it's been a cold day and it follows me moving the car only a few feet on the drive to let someone else out. I've also noticed a fair bit of white smoke (not coolant related) on starting up in the morning for the first 2min or so of a trip. What are the chances that it's overfuelling when cold due to a dodgy sensor somewhere, and not getting enough time to burn off the excess? It does seem to be thirstier around town, but fine on a run.

make sure that you arent pumping the accelerator before you start it as well, for some reason i have done this a few times before i started the car and it wasnt starting! it is something to do with the choke or something lol

put the car to the "on" possition and you'll hear a buzzing sound for a couple of seconds. this is the fuel pump priming the engine.

wait until it has stopped buzzing before starting the engine and see if that helps :)

RE: RE: Recurring starting problem

Glenn said:
make sure that you arent pumping the accelerator before you start it as well, for some reason i have done this a few times before i started the car and it wasnt starting!

Heh - I haven't had to do that since I owned my Vauxhall Dis-Astra, AKA the Golden Nail ;) The Micra has been the best car I've ever owned for starting first time :)

NeX said:
wait until it has stopped buzzing before starting the engine and see if that helps :)

Cheers for that - I'll give it a go from tomorrow! Fingers crossed, it's been quite good since I got it runnign again :)

you should check the ht leads and dissy cap if you have them and nissan had a problem with what you are getting and there is modified parts for it i will get the bulletin tomorrow for work for ya it should say the part numbers for the mmodified parts

mine does this on damp days, and its not due to flooding it on my part. No idea what could be causing it, and neither does anyone else :(

hi all got 3 bulletins which may help you alot in your problem if you pm me ur email addys i will send you them

i have to kick the knackers off the accelerator for mine to start on cold damp days. so obviously, shes a great car for the north east...
gonna get new plugs and new HT leads, see if that solves the problem. and fit that damned fan sensor!

kuang said:
Spot on, thanks :)

I think I've noticed a pattern here - each time it's happened it's been a cold day and it follows me moving the car only a few feet on the drive to let someone else out. I've also noticed a fair bit of white smoke (not coolant related) on starting up in the morning for the first 2min or so of a trip. What are the chances that it's overfuelling when cold due to a dodgy sensor somewhere, and not getting enough time to burn off the excess? It does seem to be thirstier around town, but fine on a run.
Heh heh, that's an absolutely classic way of flooding a small car with an EFI engine; if it's cold, turning over at all (ECU warning light may also come on) and the exhaust stinks of petrol you've almost certainly flooded it. The thing about pulling out the fuel pump fuse is absolutely correct; remember to floor the pedal when you're trying to start it like that so it can burn off the excess fuel quickly (reduces your chances of killing the battery in the process) and keep cranking it until it starts then stick the fuse back in. The white smoke is just condensation in the exhaust pipe evaporating along with the water vapour produced by combustion condensing in the cold air making your own personal cloud :) All cars are thirstier around town, it's the driving conditions (low gear, varying speed) hence the official EU mpg thingy has, Urban (in town) and Extra Urban (outside of town) cycles.

RE: RE: RE: Recurring starting problem

The white smoke is just condensation in the exhaust pipe evaporating along with the water vapour produced by combustion condensing in the cold air making your own personal cloud

What worried me more is that this shows a marked increase over the past few months. It hasn't been this noticeable before, and my mechanic even mentioned it when it was in having some work done a while back. Having said that, the exhaust isn't sootying itself up, so I'm not too fussed at the moment ;)

All cars are thirstier around town, it's the driving conditions (low gear, varying speed) hence the official EU mpg thingy has, Urban (in town) and Extra Urban (outside of town) cycles.

I only noticed a couple of months or so back that my economy overall had dropped relative to the way it used to be - a full tank would give me about 240 miles when used around town, but that sometimes now dips as low as 180-190. On a run the economy is just as good as it was, pushing about 300 miles from full. That was part of the thinking behind the cold start thing - around town I have far more starts per mile than blasting down the M1 :)

Overall though the car is behaving OK now - I'm allowing it to run on a little bit more until the idle speed drops if I have to move it a short distance, and it isn't showing any reluctance to start at all. I'm currently debating whether or not to attempt to tap my local Nissan spares dept for the replacement wiring harness from the temperature sensor to the ECU (thanks fordy! :)) but at the moment it's behaving so that isn't urgent.

Thanks for all your help :)

Back