colour coding mirros and handles???

CMF_benben

» CMF Member
hey i have just been out and baught some white primer, nissan metalic gold and clean lacquer to paint my mirros and door handles but i was wonder if i need some other primer type like plastic primer of if i need to treat the plastic first???
benben

yeah you could do with plastic primer as this makes tha paint stick better. sand down the plastics to get a smooth finish, clean it, couple of layers of primer, sand that down until smooth, clean it, couple of coats of paint(gold in your case) wet sand that using very fine sandpaper use lots of soapy water until that is smooth then make sure it is clean. then laquer it. sounds more complicates as it is. just follows these steps. you wont get it right first time but keep practising and you will find it very easy

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Awesome. I was about to do this to my door handles... The black handles are faded to a dull grey... So a phresh coat of silver will make the whole side of the car silver, hopefully making it look vry sxcy.

Would that also be the same sort of technique for patching up a bigger spot on the metal? obviously using a different or no primer at all?

CMF_klingon

» CMF Member
you definatly gotta use plastic primer man lay a light coat of that on then fire awat with 2 to 3 coats of base coat let dry not complety then 2 coats of clear. then shes sweet make sure you prepsol the bastards before you paint em other wise youll have lots of nice little bits of dirt in there.

good luck

CMF_klingon

» CMF Member
hey toma on the metal you need to ideally paint the whole panel unless your a genius painter who can blend like god himself.

you need to sand the area first, make sure there are no edges called feathering out. then scotchbrite the whole panel wet with scuff paste. clean chamois dry, prepsol,

then apply 4 coats of putty or primer i use standox 2k-hs-system filler (good ****). after that you need to block the puttied area with 240 grit sandpaper, then use a random orbital sander with 400 grit sandpaper. then wet rub the area with 800 grit sandpaper.

you have now prepped the panel. dont forget to prepsol again. as you can see preparation is about 90 percent of spraypainting. if you dont do that right it will always look crapola.

now apply your 2 to 3 coats of basecoat. then 2 coats of clear.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
:O

Awesome tips.

The area i need to do is about 3x7cm's big, on the back door/hatch. Would i really need to do the whole thing? :/ Its silver, so im guessing it'll be a bastard of a colour to get blending together nice...

CMF_benben

» CMF Member
hey thanks for the tips everyone, im gonna get painting this weekend.
benben

Attachments

• 10481.jpg
    10481.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 29
Back