Colette farting and rattling

Hey guys,

I noticed that my car started sounding pretty throaty and deep, like it had a chesty cough or something...
I think I got to the bottom of it as when i feel around the intermediate silencer, I can feel a stream of air parping out.

Is an exhaust replacement a big/difficult job? What are the main difficulties with it as I plan to do it myself...

Also, when I first found this problem, I noticed that when I accelerated in gear, the engine would sound a bit rattly or tappety. This would only happen in gear when moving and would get louder the more I put my foot down... any ideas for that, could they be linked? I've been doing a lot of miles recently on the motorways in her so have probably crunched the engine up...? Or perhaps its gearbox/clutch related...

H

exhaust replacement...is pretty easy providing youve got the correct size spanners etc.

most problem you'll have is rusted bolts / fixings...but thats usually caused by the salt on the roads here in the UK, so dunno if it'll be a problem for you.

rattle wise, id be guessing...as it doesnt seem to do it when revving and as it gets louder/becomes obvious when driving it could be gearbox related...or for that matter anything movement related..

Though i suppose its possible it could be parts of the exhaust have broken up inside and are vibrating??? (but youd expect that to be noticeable when revving).

Best bet it to fix what you know is needed and see if the other problem goes away aswell, if not you can then try and track it down :)

Yeah, when I drive conservatively it doesn't seem to be heard much, only really when I'm pulling away, accellerating or putting my foot down.

is it blatent rattle (ie bystanders will think that something is about to fall off or subtle rattle (ie you notice it because you know what it should sound like)?

Good idea.
Not blatant, no. More like an internal mechanical rattle as though it were in the engine when accelerating.

You get so used to the sound of your own car dont you...

It used to do this sound a while ago but only when I really put my foot down to climb a hill in too high a gear, demanding the engine... Would it do this if it were gearbox/clutch?

H

Back