Cold Air Intake

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
So, was looking through Cisco's site, and seen his cold air feed :p

So, off I went to B&Q and thought I'd have a go.

Just waiting for sealant and filler to dry then I can fit it and see what it does!

Here's the pics!

Attachments

• DSC00126.JPG
    DSC00126.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC00125.JPG
    DSC00125.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC00127.JPG
    DSC00127.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC00128.JPG
    DSC00128.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 413
forgive my ignorance as its been a while since i owned a k11 and i cant really remember the intake system but where will your new extension end up? Iirc in the k11 it came from behind the battery or something? I seen a kit you can get for the focus where you get a mushroom filter and basically it hangs under the engine so gets the full draft of passing air...

looks cool, will it hold together?

It'll sit very very slightly below the level of the car so will be in direct cold air flow.

Will see tomorrow when it holds, but I'll use plumbing cleats to bolt it to the bay

You've been thinking about my induction here haven't you Phil ? I thought about the way you're going but I thought it would stand too much chance of sucking up water from the road surface/spray.

remember it does not rain over there unlike here. Thats why they made that like that, in the wet days which are soon to follow, this type of scoopy device will just be swooping loads of rainy water.

that looks like it will be a water scoop, all the best with it and i hope it works, but another thing worth bearing in mind is plastic absorbes heat easily so as the air flows up past the engine its going to get warmer and probably make no difference from running it to the front. correct me if im worng hope it works , one setup i did see on a car which looked cool was someone had a bmw induction kit it was twin mushrooms ,,,,,,, might go to the scrappy or something later lol

good luck tho dude

yeah thats a bummer if you have to go over one of them roads where water floods over them... dont know what they are called. :blush:

tommo said:
ford lol

there you go, i had the balls to say it :D

lol how dare you sully this forum with that kind of language! :grinning:

I think that intake looks pretty good actually. For £13 you can't go wrong. Looks like my kind of a mod :)

Let us know if it works ok Phil mate.

runaway robot has had one on for a while now. i dont think hes having any probs. althougt, he did use a proper feed pipe.

the only problem with that is on a really hot day the concrete will be really hot so might defeat the oject but since we get about 2 hot days a year i dont think you need to worry. water shouldnt get all the way up the pipe and if ya worried about it maybe put a mini filter type thing half way up.

ok well it's all fitted, just need some final adjustments as the airbox isn't sat perfect, but tried it.

This is a 100% honest review of it.

There is a difference in noise, kind of sounds like the cone filter but that is kind of irrelevant for what I was aiming for.

I didn't really feel any noticeable difference in acceleration, however, it picked up quicker and went through the revs smoother and easier.

When I put my foot down there was less hesitation before it went, but when it did go I don't think there was much of a difference. It felt like it was 'on tap'

and some pictures of it underneath, and yes, the engine bay is being cleaned and I've just took it off to paint the sealant!

Attachments

• DSC00130.JPG
    DSC00130.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC00129.JPG
    DSC00129.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 348
  • DSC00131.JPG
    DSC00131.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 330
after the drive the PVC pipe felt the same all the way through nowhere near as hot as the engine. The PVC pipe was similar temperature to when I put it in, just can't find my temperature gun from my RC car atm :mad:

Hahaha. The evil micra-killing air intake.

I looked at doing this until I was driving through a slightly flooded road and I realised that the scoop would literally be totally submerged in water. Where I live it doesn't rain that all that often (and its been a bit of a drought lately as well so that means when it does rain the ground is so dry it virtually rejects most of the water..!), but when it does rain its always fairly heavy. There's lots of poorley designed roads that flood in my general area.:glare:

I ended up stuffing around with some pipe to make a clean system to the front grille. But the standard airfilter is literally just big enough for the cg13de. That is using this formula here: A = (CID x RPM)/20839 where A = effective filtering area, CID = cubic inch displacement and RPM = revolutions per minute at maximum power. A is a figure in square inches, CID is obviously cubic inches which btw the cg13de is 1275cc = roughly 78ci. The basic answer to A in metric measurement (one of the things we CAN thank the french for lol :p) is around 127cm^2.

Anyway the fact of the matter is that the 12cmx14cm standard airfilter only JUST touches the minimum efficiency size (124ish cm^2 when you remove 15mm from the sides to account for the rubber seal). To maintain that minimum efficiency you need to continue the air feed to the filter in piping which is the same size as the airfilter. Otherwise you will drop below minimum efficiency.

It is now clear to me why so many tuners just whack a big pod filter straight onto the throttle body. It is pretty much impossible to get enough air to the throttle body due to space restrictions (unless of course you go with a custom airbox and bonnet scoop system).

Discuss? Anyone see where I'm coming from? EDIT: I realise there's more problems again with the throttle body size and the head's ports and intake runners and plenum sizing as well (which most likely don't flow as well as the motor needs for optimal power delivery) but as you can appreciate it is always good to have at least one part of the system up-to-scratch... This way you know there's no extra power to be found there and you can relax/spend money on other things :p

So are you suggesting a suitable size and length of pipe 130% of the engines capacity of filtered air before the throttle body with a cone filter located in a cool area be optimum over the airbox?

Yeh something like that... If you can make it fit. :p

But I only worked it out for the 1.3L. Grab that equation and whack the 1.0L specs into it and you'll get different figures. Standard filter might be plenty big enough for the 1.0L....

Save costs. There are so many other restrictions on the motor it wouldn't have made a difference if they had redesigned the intake.

Yom I know it's a constant, but I'm that kinda guy that's not happy without understanding :p just want to know what the relevance of that number is :)

I'm not sure myself. I just shutup and accepted it for what it is. :p

I found the same formula used around the web on different websites so I'm assuming that its fairly accurate.

must say yom i like your posts, really informative in the 1st main post that not many questions need asked :D we need more aussie members!

wonder if cisco ever comes on here?...hmmmm

stephen

It is rare for me to make a post which is all good.

I usually end up waffling away on some unrelated note.. :D Plus my opinions and interpretations of various things aren't always 100% accurate (as i do learn most of the stuff i waffle on the internet, so its not all 100% correct as you can appreciate) and some of my opinions do get on some people's nerves. But I'm a straight out person. I usually say what I'm thinking before I consider what might become of my thoughts.

Like the time I made a nazi invading poland reference (damn you john cleese) around a whole heap of german exchange students. whoops. :p

Going back a bit in this thread - I do not like the idea of theinlet being so low. Many many moons ago GM entered a brace of Astras in the RAC Rally (aka Network Q & Rally of Wales GB). Those cars all had intakes around bumper level. When they went through the ford on teh first day all the cars got enough water in tehm to destroy the engines! From waht I remeber at least one of the cars went through the ford at only about 10mph

instead of mine going down to the bumper, its right behind my passenger light :) just temp until i decide what im doing with the induction

doing some other research into air induction may try a few other things, my temp gun from RC Car seems to be handy for finding cool spots ;)

Back