cold air feed

hi, i have a k&n flat panel filter and i have simply unplugged the air intake (it is stil bolted in so its not changed anything) into the air box and have left it loose, overlapping the hole slightly so the engine gets both cold air and can breath more (i would add pics if i knew how i dont think it will let me cos im not a long term member...).

is this ok or is a properly-secured cold air feed required (im thinking what i have done is ok as my insurance would rocket if i mentioned the word induction to them). As i have seen bolt-on cones and this is virtucally the same.

thanks

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
if your going for noise then your setup will be fine, you probably wont see much performance loss especially on the 1 litre. if your after performance then a custom cold air feed is best (use search for detials)!

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
dogrosie said:
would you recommend a cold air feed then??

Definately. If I understand what you have done then there wont be the proper seal between the tubing and the airbox. It will be sucking in hot air. If the pipe is in there then the cold air, from behind the headlight, is more forced into the airbox.

ok will have a go o nsearch :)
im thinking even with a cold air feed i wont see much if any improvement on the 1litre. is a new air feed classed as an engine mod?

scottish-sr said:
Definately. If I understand what you have done then there wont be the proper seal between the tubing and the airbox. It will be sucking in hot air. If the pipe is in there then the cold air, from behind the headlight, is more forced into the airbox.

yes you're right:grinning: the pipe is sort of overlapping (in the hope that a bit of cold air is still drawn in). i assume this will give no long term damage to the engine etc as the air drawn in is hotter, even though much more can now be pulled in.

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
dogrosie said:
i assume this will give no long term damage to the engine etc as the air drawn in is hotter, even though much more can now be pulled in.

As its drawing in hotter air, it might. You wuld also be loosing performance. If your after sound, ebst bet is a K&N cone filter. Davey C is selling one.

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
scottish-sr said:

ohhhh never thought of it that way! i wanna cut out me bonnet n put me filter slightly through the bonnet but if it gets wet will it screw the engine or anything?

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
R05_Micra said:
i wanna cut out me bonnet n put me filter slightly through the bonnet but if it gets wet will it screw the engine or anything?

If you cut it so it goes through the bonnet, then you will need some sort of vent, like a scooby vent, to sit over the top of it, that will also draw air towards the filter.

As for the issue about rain, if you have the scoop over the top, it won't get as wet. Although when your driving I still imagine some moisture will get to it.

Safest bet is to just reposition it under the bonnet with lots of cold air feeds.