Coilovers vs lower springs

What are your thoughts on this topic?

Coilovers are in the region of £600 and easily adjusted til I found the right balance.

Lowering springs are about £130 and just replace the existing springs.

I'm aware that using shorter springs will shorten damper life, but even replacing them in a few years will be cheaper than the coilovers...

clio ones probably fit eh, but i would like someone to explain the "shorter shocklife" b-locks tho fwn

If you get lowering springs, it's always a good idea to get uprated shocks as well - not only does it save your back, it also saves you putting a big dent in your wallet by having to replace your standard shocks all the time. That said, coilovers will give you a much lower drop (I think the only way to get a bigger drop without coilovers is to remove the springs altogether and just run on shocks and bumpstops)

the shocks might not be rated to the same rebound rate as the lowering springs. i have adjustable dampeners and drop springs on the rear, full coilovers on the front. the handling cannot be beating, it is on rails, i cant even get the wheels to squeak going round corners. in fact i can go around a round about as fast as i like, its actually the lack of power in the engine that is the problem, not the traction.

Why is a good idea to get uprated shocks with lowering springs??

Because when I bought my 60mm Apex lowering springs but left the stock dampers on, the ride was absolutely terrible. I actually made it worse when I lopped another coil off of each spring - it just bounced all over the place, even on the slightest bump. It was worse than leaving it at stock height, as there was still quite a bit of body roll. However, as soon as I put my KYB shocks on, it handled (like Nex said) like the car is on rails. It just improves it so much, makes the suspension stiff rather than stiff but wallowy (Y)

the shocks might not be rated to the same rebound rate as the lowering springs. i have adjustable dampeners .

there,s a contradiction nex fwn how can adjustable dampers be rated to the same rebound rate (ie, are they "correct" when adjusted fully soft, or fully hard ? )

Why is a good idea to get uprated shocks with lowering springs??

because uprated shocks are usually about 30% stiffer than standard shocks so work well with uprated (stiffer) springs. :grinning:

ive had -35mm HnR springs and kyb agx shocks on my 200sx and it was nice enough for daily driving im not sure if they do kyb agx for the micras they are adjustable shocks.

If you do more track stuff maybe coilovers are a better for you but they will be very stiff on bumpy roads :grinning:

I've never been on a track... although it would be fun to see how I can make this puny 98bhp engine move ;) (EDIT: Oh wait... I live by a huge network of country lanes!)

Roads in Herts are generally not too bad, except the road I live on which has potholes AND speedhumps. However in Bucks, where I work, the roads are amongst the worst I've experienced.

You guys' comments here are pushing me towards the coilovers, just for the improved handling, which is my ultimate aim over the cosmetic improvement that lowering the car brings.

My Micra was a daily, I preferred using stiffer shocks to just using the stock ones - although round here it's all speedbumps, potholes, country lanes, and roundabouts, so they were kind of needed :glare:. Otherwise, my back would be shattered

Back