Clutch annoyance.

davey1991

If its not scrubbing, its not low enough.
This isn't a problem thats stopping me driving the car but it makes me look like i cant drive.
The clutch has a very very noticeable lump in the pedal travel it seems to be almost on the biting point.
Meaning when i lift the clutch it hits this lump and it becomes impossible to change gear smoothly.
It doesn't appear to be the cable so any other help?

I've had the clutch off, it seems very odd that its dead on the biting point even when adjusting the cable, i'll have a closer look.

But it did it from fitting the brand new clutch, obviously i replaced the release bearing with it could there be a build up from new?
Oddly burning the clutch out a few times seems to have eased it a little, making me think it could be the flywheel even though its done 7k miles on it already...?

How could the flywheel cause it? Its just a lump of metal, no moving parts.

If its caused by the release bearing sticking, when you fitted a new clutch the bearing would sit further out because the diaphram spring would hold it out a fraction more and the friction plate would be thicker.

It feels better after you burned the clutch out because as you have planed a few thousand miles off the clutch plate the biting point and the springs pressure changes.

You could have made it feel better by adjusting or slackening off the clutch cable a bit.

I've had it adjusted all manner of ways though, biting point almost on the floor biting point at the top of travel, with the flywheel it could be uneven or so i was told, due to the previous clutch plate. I can usually sort these little nuisances but this one has me stumped, maybe i'll just have to live with it :(

If the flywheel surface was uneven you may get a judder or if it was really bad it may slip but thats it.
Usually when the release bearing starts to stick after a clutch has been done its because someone has used too much grease on the splines or there is an oil leak.
The lubricant collects on the release bearing sleeve and causes the dirt to stick to it.

No grease on the sleeve at all! Put a small amount on the splines of the 1st motion shaft (bit poking out the gearbox that sits inside that sleve) then wipe it off to leave a trace. Nothing more!

Ahh so that must be why my clutch has been soo heavy all along cos i smeared grease on the sleeve. Ok grease just the fork finger, input shaft, bearing face and see how it goes. Cheers m8

i smeared copper slip on and all around where the release bearing fits and slides, ive had no problems and have a really smooth clutch.

Back