Cleaning out the CAT

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member
Hi guys just wondering if this would have any benefit to performance, iam assuming it will due to air flow, just wondering what thoughts you guys have,

Pics shows the honeycomb cleaned out of the CAT that meets the manifold

Attachments

• 82812.jpg
    82812.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 16

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member
Will just be the standard 1 bud, a buddy of mine give me this to try thought i would ask if it would benefit me first, but ahh well from what i have read elsewhere, its going on :)

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
i doubt if the stock peashooter downpipe flows half as well as the cat tbh glen (and this is the front/bigger end of the d/p :)
some legitimate flow figures would be interesting tho

Attachments

• 82820.jpg
    82820.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 12

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member
so your thoughts are keep with the cat intact?, still got my orginal one just need to drill the bolts out and stick back on. Iv no idea on how to get any figures bud :)

Was also looking to replace the other with a straight piece of pipe

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
dunno tbh mate, you have created a big void prior to the downpipe, (maybe helps, maybe hinders ??)
i think i would fit a pipe inside the void to maintain flowrates personally (i fitted a perforated tube into my n/a mani/cat, to try and lose some decibels)
the 2nd cat exits at about 60mm iirc, then hits a flat plate/flange with a much smaller hole in the middle, that cant be good for flow, so maybe re-design that area eh :)
or else fit a coilpack (post 2000) middle section (those have no 2nd cat)

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member
Yeah see what your saying bud, will play around see what happens,

or else fit a coilpack (post 2000) middle section (those have no 2nd cat)[/quote]

Would this need cutting to size or straight swap for cat

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member

or else fit a coilpack (post 2000) middle section (those have no 2nd cat)[/quote]

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Wallie WROTE:

"interesting read. so the post 2000 only have 1 cat? does the coil pack replace the 1 just below the manifold or the 1 under the car? and is there any significant difference?

its a deeper primary cat wallie, with a slightly shorter mani and downpipe, when i compared the 2 the later one had finer pores in the core too

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member
ok managed to get on today despite the snow :( i missed out putting the springs in for now, was getting to cold and bloody annoying (do i need these) there was a bit of smoke coming off/out of the cat (crap probably burning up)

Did sound a bit dull today, could putting this part on cause this?
(including a link to vid for you to listen not to sure if the quality is good enough tho)

Cheers

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member
cant do anything to flywheel bud
Speed sensor- where is this?
disconnect lambda- What am i hoping for here?
and again sorry- where is coolant sensor and what will this do, also is this a good idea if the car is at full throttle in 2nd gear for 2mins

Cheers

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
there should some threads on here and MSC about the speed sensor wire and how it over-rides the closed looping of the ecu mate, and ecu,s usually run from the basemap if there is no lambda feedback (safer/richer mixtures).
and one of my dyno printouts on here shows me doing a run with the coolant temp sensor disconnected, giving a (coldstart) constant 13:1 fuel ratio as a result
these are things that you could try out

Back