chipped windscreen

asdame

Ex. Club Member
hi
i brought a micra off me sister to overhaul and noticed it has a stone chipped windscreen on top right drivers side. probly fill it soon but m8 mentioned a large chip could fail MOT.
how much r the windscreens if it needs replacin?

if it's in the wiper sweep area it can be no bigger than 40mm including cracks, unless it's in the driver's view (300mm either side of center of steering wheel line down windscreen, but still in wiper sweep area) which it can be no bigger than 10mm.

the chip is at top right of windscreen out of drivers view and is prob 10mm (check later or take a pic).

the car's not insured yet cos i brought the car last august from me sister (after she got a new focus) and is planning to S.O.R.N. it from end of november when the tax-disc expires.
reason being that i'll be restoring the car when i store it in me back garage during which:
- i won't have to pay tax cos it's off the road
- no need to pay insurance cos it's immobile

this way i'll keep costs down throughout overhauling until i've finished the car next year by then i'll apply for insurance n tax.

i suppose repairing the windscreen now when uninsured would cost abit at full price. or should i wait next year till i fixed the car and applied for insurance to repair it?

btw has neone here had their screens filled before? how good r they? could the crack fractures be seen afterwards or would the screen appear like new?

here's a pic of the chip
p9290202rf7.jpg

i think the fracture is bout 15mm max
p9290204cm7.jpg

i'd get it repaired as it'll only get worse with driving, the screen takes quite a bit of stress.
screen repairs are quite good really, normally about £50. sometimes they arn't visible at all after, mostly you can see then if you know where to look.
here is a pic of the limits.

Attachments

• screendiag.gif
    screendiag.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 312
the car won't be driven until i finish it next year. m8 suggested winters also coming up but it'll be in garage by november neway.

if i repair it under insurance, that's making a claim right? could that claim be done immediately after i apply for insurance (dunno if it affects NCB.. naa it'll be me first years insurance anyways)

the crack is just on the boundary between the 40mm & 10mm allowance. but yea Silver i suppose i should get it done soon.
is the £50 for a mobile repair van?

could it b cheaper if taken to the shop..um ohh, i can't drive it yet. meh.

mobile repair it is then. need to research for cheapest one around now.

Back