Cheaper mods?

johnsams

MICRAPOWER!
Club Member
anyone know of some cheap mods to improve handling and engine?or just anything really at good Value!

i'm getting there slowly, getting the exhaust manifold changed next week(has a crack and hole in) and K&N induction kit on the way...

this is all for a 94 1.3 16v LX K11 by the way

:k11motors

:grinning:

hi johnsams

you could put some negative camber on the front to cure the understeer
and remove the 2nd cat (extending the catback pipe and bolting the cat flanges together is a cheap option )

lowering and alloys really improve the cars handling!
id also recomend the camber thingys aswell im gonna get em on my next micra

Frank, thats crazy :grinning: awesome! you seem to be clued up "mechanically wise" so guessing you made that yourself? what have you used as a "joiner" piece as you have removed the 1st CAT? is it then joined to a standard micra exhaust?

cheers Naps

Johnsams, a 1.6 airbox with a cold air feed is a good mod and costs nothing as scrap yards charge cheaply for the airbox :wasntme: !
but as everyone has said you kind have to be mechanically minded and good with tools etc or have alot of money really! performance is hardest to improve imo but i havent spent that much and have a very quick and awesome handling k11 :love:

"insurance friendly" Frank? so the heat shield is there to pretend to cover up a CAT / tube lol?
my k11 failed emissions due to janspeed......second CAT was workng perfectly fine, just the lambarda sensor was bust and overfueling! they said nothing to with the CAT? so......either way....aslong as you can somehow lower input fueling.....thats a point...will your "lamb sensor" be secure / tight in your makeshift hole?

napster

the factory manifold has a big screw-in insert for the lamda, i screwed that out and welded it into the tube

joel

i did one for a member on here (i wanted a 2nd opinion ) but he has,nt logged on since ??

yes i knew about the lam sensor from factory but just couldnt tell from that pic if you could easily secure it, but you can so great! well good luck with that manifold on mot! keep us informed if you dont mind? perforance gains? or not be fitted yet

napster

mot is,nt till july-ish, its been on for a few months, performance? i would say, equal to a janspeed till about 4000 then probably a lot less gain thereafter

joel

i,ve already done 3 and the novelty has worn off i,m afraid !

my one as proved itself to not be the main problem, turned out joint under the 1st cat needed a new gasket (£2.42 from unipart :)), now sounds like new.. and tightening the bracket on the heat shield sorted the rattling problems out,...i still think i'm loosing some power because of that crack

i'm now stuck with my scrappy manifold and gaskets for it,need the seals for the 1st cat though (my local nissan dealer quoted £22 for them) :/ but don't have the know how or the tools to fit that kinda stuff (or the money to get it fitted at a garage):( one of those modded ones would be spot on though...proper job!

can't wait for the K&N induction kit to come! my micras gonna sound sweet!
:)
:k11motors

a shield covering it to make it "insurance friendly"
What's the shield for on a manifold? What's it shielding?

Mine's came off 2 years ago, same problem as johnsams - the manifold was cracked and replaced with one from the scrap yard. It came back from the garage without a shield

Just got the bill out

1 scrap Manifold = 25.00.

The garage charged the rest

1 Manifold Gasket = 4.44
Labour costs (1 hour) = 40.00
VAT = 7.77
Garage total = 52.21

With manifold it was £77.21

This was Dec 2005 in South Wales

If I had the same problem today I would fit it myself and save the £40 (and learn something in the process)

twisting

the shield is just for "health and safety"
but mine covers an oversize tube, which an insurance engineer would consider a mod

Back