Changing the gear nob

A

adr3n

i wanna change the gear nob on my micra, is there a way to take the old one off without having to replace the whole gear stick?

proving to be pretty tough atm :(

Attachments

• cardockfm.jpg
    cardockfm.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 330
yes it unscrew's, I hate it when someone doubts me, i'm not sure now. Someone please tell me i'm not losing my marbles, ok I might be losing my marbles but tell me I'm right about this one...

lol..
but straight to the point!!

in more helpful attitude.

yes
get a good grip (use mothers or yours, marigolds for better grip) and just twist anti closkwise.
if all else fails simple grab a big set of molgrips and clamp and twist.

the knob wll prove very easy

it deffo does just twist off....... even i can do this:p

as i found out the other day i was waiting for my m8 to come outa her house and i was just sat fiddlin wit it... next min it was in my hand and not attached to the stick lol

Yeah, (constructive mode not childish mode!) Just unscrew, if you don't want the original, use a strap or chain wrench (oil filter spanner) to break the glue then should be easy. Chain wrench will mess the finish though.

I can confirm they do just unscrew, and its a blob of glue holding them on. If you wanna go down the wrench idea, put a cloth over the knob then the finish should be kept :)

Some are easier to remove than others

James.

ok will try that in a minute.

also..... just seen neon gear knobs up the road :s

cosmo neon gear knobs and that??? anyone heard of them before?

this knob at moving at all.... i tried using a spanner that adjusts to different sizes and that aint moving it.... anymore ideas?

lmfao

my knob was really stiff too, so i put both hands around it but it just wouldnt move, so got my mate to put his hands round my knob and it eventually loosened up. Was a relief for both of us as we thought it had got stuck! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Arnold said:
lmfao

my knob was really stiff too, so i put both hands around it but it just wouldnt move, so got my mate to put his hands round my knob and it eventually loosened up. Was a relief for both of us as we thought it had got stuck! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

o_O
arnold!!!!

new1.jpg

there is new knob, you can also see some of the seat covers and the stereo, want a handbrack cover now :)

opionions please?

Yeah that looks very nice! Is the gear gator new too?
A nice set of pedals will really set it off now!

My mate kept playing with my knob and eventually he wore it out and it fell off, so i just went out and got a new one! A nice red one with carbon on it! :D

Hehe, longest post about knobs I've seen since the last chav thread :) Can't resist jumping on the bandwagon too...

My knobs looking very tired and sorry for itself. I got a bigger, shinier one which my girlfriend seems to prefer but it needs some work to make it fit (in place of the old one obviously... )

:)

Yeah, my knob was a bit wobbily, i had to wrap tape around the inside of it and now its good and hard! It wont come off in my hand again!

yea, i going to get some nice pedals, and handbrake stuff..... the gator is new to :)

didnt cost me loads either :D

what you think about spraying the dash black?

Do it, looks great but make sure you clean it thoroughly first. I had silicon residue on mine and it messed the finish up because the paint doesn't stick to it :(

so can i remove the dash easily?

then sand it all down, primer, then mat black? or satin? then varnish stuff over the top?

you think it will come out looking nice? also do the same with the doors?

Yeah, dash is pretty easy to take off an its defintely worth spraying. I have mine done and it looks kool!!! I will get a pic up sometime. However I would strongly recommend having a look at halfords at the car panel paint, there is a much wider choice and some of the colours are pretty kool. :) I used a black and a peugoet blue for parts of my dash and it goes well with the rest of the interior. Lmao at this topic by the way!!! My knob is carbon, with some shiny bits, strongly screwed though so it won't come off in my hand. :D

ok i ave got some mat black spray paint from halfords now... going to get going on that on monday :)

will get some step by step pics up if people wanna see?

can ya give me a list of what i need to do that?

Primer??
Mat black spray (1 can or 2 or 3 etc)??

tyoe if sealer?

A few cans of primer, hard to say how many as it depends on how much you use. About 5-5 cans of colour and if the paint requires laquer (some don't) check in halfords as it says, about 2-3 cans of laquer. :)

A few cans of primer, hard to say how many as it depends on how much you use. About 5-5 cans of colour and if the paint requires laquer (some don't) check in halfords as it says, about 2-3 cans of laquer. :)

That sounds like a lot of paint... I managed 2 coats over the whole dash from one 500ml spray can which covered nicely where there wasn't butt loads of silicone residue grr

Even with the poor finish on those patches I've not had any rub, peel or flake off anywhere on the dash.

Hehe, remember, every litre of paint on your dash adds 1kg+ weight. As my mate pointed out, think how muc time and effort race crews go to to remove this from a car... :D ;)

Back