Changing Led in Dash

After browsing www.alanarnold.co.uk :wasntme: I decided I really want to do something like this (note-not the rev counter, the red leds):
dials_red.jpg

Alan/or anyone else, where can I find/what do I need to achieve it?

Also, same questions for doing this to the heating dials bulb(s)
Thanx,
Chris (Forgive me, I'm a noob lol)

Ok olly, I'll buy 3 and replace the ones in the dash for now, cheers for the help.
P.S this kinda modding isn't illegal/goner affect any insurance/warranty etc is it?

The trouble is infront of all the bulbs, there's a thin green sheet of plastic. If you use crap bulbs or dull ones, the colour doesn't go through.

I used ultraleds bulbs and they didn't work! So got some off ebay, and they melted.. In the end i got Ed to solder on some super bright ones. Apparently two or three can light up a whole room or something, so i've got a few behind there! Don't know if he's able to supply any more & you solder them on, but they're so good! Look great in the dark.

You can't remove it. It's what the dial faces and button graphics are joined to. Unless you create completely new ones

Yeah you can take those off, but that's not the only part of the dials which provides the green light. Some aftermarket bulbs are too big to fit in these holders you mention and have to be taken out.

:sleepy: Guess it's a no no then :down: I couldn't do the work unless I payed Ed to come supply them and fit them (if he wanted to - which will undoubtedly cost a lot) I can't get it done...
Never mind. Just have to think up another thing to change now..

well my new Micra K10 super has got white dials with white lights,

looks great but i might change the bulbs to blue, as i won't have the problem of green sheet stuff, thats what my old micra had!:p

Y not put a bit of "bulb glow paint" into the hole where the bulb goes and paint it over the green bit, only a thin layer and then add red LEDs that should do it??

chris..

If you want to do this on an LS ie NO REV COUNTER you can ignore the comments about the green thing... on the LS clock the green colour is created by a kind of mini green condom over the bulb. i took the green cover off the bulbs and it was pure white.. then changed the bulbs for blue leds and it was just like arnolds.. now.. if you have Super S dials ie WITH rev counter then what the other are saying is true. the bulbs are white but yet there is still a green glow as there is some green tinting built into the clock therfore you need some decent leds to make it blue.. saying this i bought some cheap led clusters off ebay and they do a perfectly fine job of making my super s clocks blue. although no where near as bright as arnolds! LS clocks have 2 bulbs and you will also need one more for the heater matrix controls (also when doing this line the inside of the controls with tin foil to make the light spread better) .. if you have SS clocks there are 3 bulbs that need doing and also the heater matrix.

Where u based mate?? if your not far from KT3 lemme know and ill get some LEDS and you can pop over and ill fit em for ya :)

Courior

yeh thats right, i took mine off and its white! but the heater control doesn't work like that because the backing is coloured!!:p

haha thats copyright infringement isn't it (with arnold's pic)

Ok, well, as I'm not massively practicly with Cars a lot of what's just been said has gone over my head :wasntme:

Ok: So from what Curtis says I can't do the heating panels.
I have no Rev Counter only a Clock in it's place.
If I'm following you right Courier I just have to remove the bulbs and replace with something like this:
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u5015r-super-wide-angle-leds-p-674.html

And the green problem should be no more? One question though, you've talked about the clock etc. If I want to light up the Clock, Speedo and Fuel Gage how many lights do I need?
Thanx again people :wasntme:

Nope as the copyright notice / Url remains as designed (soon to be changed tho) :)

Ok thanx Courier. The heater Matrix as you call it, is that the place to change car temp etc? Or am I missing something..
Also, is there a guide anywhere to do this, or a picture of bulb location + screw locations etc.

Also, I found a white and blue version of the one you bought on ebay, no red one though :-S Are the ones I showed you just as good (they're red)?

Edit: I found these, they look similar but have 12 LED's:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2pcs-501-W5W-...ryZ72233QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
What you think?

the heater matrix is the controls to adjust the heat/fan etc.. if you pull the black tabs off the sliders then put your finger in the cig lighter (ign off) and yank it. the whole face will just pop off and you will see the bulb that needs changing.

them bulbs you found are ok but they are a little wide to fit so will need sanding to make them slimmer.. they will fit though!

Back