Changing Gearbox Oil

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I suggest making sure you can undo the top plug before you go draining the oil.

Also when filling the oil it pays to go and buy a meter or so of plastic tubing. Otherwise it could a little messy. :) The trouble with filling through the speedo sensor is that you don't the exact level unless you monitor the amount of oil you're putting in.

cisco

» CMF Member
Because that's for engine oil, not gearbox oil.

The best way is: Get about 1.5m of plastic tubing.
Buy the standard 5L bottle of gearbox fluid (Castrol VMX80) which has measurements on the side, so you can see how much oil you have put into the car.

Fill through the top filler plug, monitoring the amount of oil that has left the bottle by simply tilting the bottle level every minute or so and checking the level. EASY. I usually zip tie the bottle by the handle up to the bonnet latch up high and let the oil syphon all the way down the plastic tube from up that high into the filler plug.

If the filler plug is ceized on and you can't remove it, just use the speedo drive. Because you are measuring how much oil has left the bottle, you know to put exactly the correct amount in there.

smidge

» CMF Member
i was looking for the point about filling it till it starts pouring out because i put exactly 3L in, probly closer to 3.2 and it wasn't pouring back on me, i'm going to try again cause i don't want to risk low fluid and a busted box!

Back