Changing fuel filter - shall I bother?

Hi all,

I've had my M reg K11 about 3/4 years now and done over 40,000 miles in it, and I can't ever remember the fuel filter being changed. I hear it isn't too tricky, but I'm booked in for a service on 3rd December so was thinking about asking the guy to change the fuel filter while he's at it.

My question is, shall I bother? I wondered what difference I am likely to notice if any please?

Thanks all

if you change the filter there is no chance of it being or getting blocked (in near future anyway) so if your not sure when it was done then its probably a good idea, its not a difficult job at all, just unclip to hoses and put them on the new one, make sure you get it in the right direction, and expect a little spillage (can be reduced if you take the fuel cap of for a few seconds and then put it back on, reduces the pressure in the tank), then run it for a bit to make sure it isnt leaking

super_k11_1275 said:
if you change the filter there is no chance of it being or getting blocked (in near future anyway) so if your not sure when it was done then its probably a good idea, its not a difficult job at all, just unclip to hoses and put them on the new one, make sure you get it in the right direction, and expect a little spillage (can be reduced if you take the fuel cap of for a few seconds and then put it back on, reduces the pressure in the tank), then run it for a bit to make sure it isnt leaking

cheers mate, for what they cost (£8 at my local shop) it's probably worth doing.

Yeah you might as well do it! Wont do any halm! Mine was changed after being fitted for over two years and it was filthy! Dirty fuel cant be any good for the engine, and they're cheap :)

Take the fuse out the fuel pump relay, start the car and let it die, then there will be no fuel in the fuel system! Depending on what garage you are getting the car seviced and what level of service you are getting, you should get it changed as part of the service.

Daz

ANY money!!! that due to the fact that is has to be irrepairably taken apart to see its condition... It never gets changes in LOADS AND LOADS of cars... Ive changed to a NON-nissan Clear, plastic fuel filter to got with my 1.6tb, ECU and FSE uprate... its surprising how quickly the filters go black,...

When you remove you 'never before replaced' nissan ful filter.... Tip it into a suitable bin and watch how much BLACK sludge pours out of it!!!

Its one of the most regularly changed things on my car now... every 2/3 months..... only 2/3 quid for a new one too...

kristian said:
ANY money!!! that due to the fact that is has to be irrepairably taken apart to see its condition... It never gets changes in LOADS AND LOADS of cars... Ive changed to a NON-nissan Clear, plastic fuel filter to got with my 1.6tb, ECU and FSE uprate... its surprising how quickly the filters go black,...

When you remove you 'never before replaced' nissan ful filter.... Tip it into a suitable bin and watch how much BLACK sludge pours out of it!!!

Its one of the most regularly changed things on my car now... every 2/3 months..... only 2/3 quid for a new one too...

wow...

a) do you notice any difference in how the car runs?

b) where do you shop?!!? that's dirt cheap!

stokefan said:
wow...

a) do you notice any difference in how the car runs?

b) where do you shop?!!? that's dirt cheap!

A) do u mean in respect to the 1.6TB, ECU, and FSE ... Yes Definatly!!...If u just mean changing the filter regularly... not really, but just another thing to keep the engine healthy..
B).. nowhere special... just my local motor spares place... NOT halfords or similar...

K10Daz said:
Take the fuse out the fuel pump relay, start the car and let it die, then there will be no fuel in the fuel system!

Daz

No, it just de-pressurises it. You will still get petrol spilling from tubes.

true but you wont get nearly as much as if the petrol is under pressure, ithe first time i changed an injector i had pressure in the fuel rail, and it went every where, and petrol really doesnt taste very nice

Back