CG13DE into a veedub

CMF_micradub

» CMF Member
This may seem a peculiar xenotransplantation however I'm thinking of putting a 1300 engine into a VW based kit car. For a number of reasons, the CG13DE is starting to look good. Does anyone know where I could find some engine side on drawing with dimensions.

Some of the things that will stop me are:-
Very low sump (it's an off roader)
Lots of gizmos hanging off the front at the bellhousing end (these could protrude into the fibreglass rear fire wall.

Can anyone think of reasons why it can't be done? eg wrong rotation etc.

micradub

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
the sump does look quite low but you could get around that with a custom dry sump. Gizmos hanging off the bellhousing (south) end of the motor? Hmm I can think of the distributor but thats about it. Alternator on non aircon engines hang pretty low and on the other side there's the water pump and its idler pulley which really dont extend out much further than the intake manifold.

Rotation problems can be overcome by flipping the engine and gearbox around... Oh and a lot more custom work. :p

What gearbox are you planning on using? Sounds like an interesting project. Goodluck with it!

CMF_micradub

» CMF Member
1600 Kombi (1968), it's already in the car, they have lower gearing which means I can swing a taller tire plus they are a bit tougher than a beetle box.

The alternator being at the gearbox end may not be such a problem, as long as it can be mounted at the other end coming off the pulley.

A dizzy at the box end may also be able to be removed if I think I can get away with an EDIS setup.

Dry sumping is usually avoided if you want a reliable off road car, what we do with a suby motor is to modify the sump and pickup so it's higher and wider therefore it holds the same amount of oil.

By the way, when you stand at the rear of a VW, the crank shaft pulley rotates clockwise, how does this compare with a CG13DE? I'd prefer not to flip the ring and pinion, some say it shortens the life of the box however this is probably a myth when you consider the old split window Kombis (too 67) with reduction boxes at the ends of their axles ran that way since day one.

You are right about it being and interesting project, all my riding buddies always think "more cubes, more cubes" I want to go in the opposite direction.

micradub

CMF_micradub

» CMF Member
Thanks Yom, problem number 1 solved, rotation is the same.

Actually I thought this may be the case because many of the VW conversion forums I've visited in the past only ever noted 2 motors commonly used in sand rail and kit car transplants as rotating in the wrong direction, 1 was Honda and the other Corvair. In their heyday, I believe there was even a kit to make a corvair rotate in the opposite direction.

micradub

Back