CG13DE and CGA? 14DE , 1348cc ? questions .

CMF_discopotato03

» CMF Member
Hi all , have tried searching and can't find any info on the 1348cc CGA motor . Is it available in Aus and what are the differences ?

I did do some searching on the GA15 and 16DE's and it seems they use a taller block than 1.3 or 1.4 ? L . I did see a picture of a GA15 in an American Sentra B15 and it looked like it had the same style of vertical throttlebody as shown in Ciscos posts .

I am very interested to learn of the parts interchange in the GA family , it may be possible to use a taller block with the 1300 crank to get larger bores and larger valve heads . I guess it all depents on whether the engine grew longer along the crank axis . I'm all for light cars with as many Cubes as is practical and affordable to fit without it becoming a lead tipped arrow .

Thank and great site , cheers Adrian .

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
the GA is a physically bigger motor than a CG. They look similar but then again if you look at a late model KA24DE it looks like just an upscaled version of a GA16.

CGA3DE is a 1.348L update to the original CG13DE (which is 1.285L or something).

CGA came on in late model facelift K11 in europe, and had individual coil pack ignition. These ECU's usually also had NATS (annoying nissan immobiliser which is built into the ECU) so its not an easy task to put a UK spec CGA3DE into an earlier model K11.

The CGA3DE was also seen in japan in the last few k11 revisions. I believe it retained the distributor ignition and not all JDM K11 had NATS fitted.

lewis, one of our taiwanese members knows alot more about them and he reckons the blocks are pretty much the same. Different cam shafts, slightly better head (mabye), different cams (mabye) but most significantly they had the addition of a KNOCK SENSOR. The CGA3DE is also the focus of a rather rare and wonderful holy-grail of k11 motors - the CGA3DE Alpha spec. Standard 100bhp... It was fitted to the Nissan Cube. *drool*

If you do a search on CGA13DE or CGA3DE you will come across a thread I made ages ago. We lost the original differences thread in the great forum collapse of 2005 so I made a new thread to discuss it. Remember to read right through it as ALOT of things which were posted from memory or finds on the internet may not be true.

Cheers

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
the cga3de is not physically bigger than the cg13de in terms of external size. the difference in capacity is from it being bored out more than the cg13de.

CMF_James MSC

» CMF Member
Also, the CGA3DE has instead of a Nissan ECU, a Bosch Motronix one, which is a bit of a pig to work on so i've heard.

Also it's a bit annoying to fit a performance manifold apparantly, because the alternator was relocated and gets in the way.

I'd just stick to the CG13 if you want a Nissan CG engine hehe

CMF_discopotato03

» CMF Member
Thanks all , after some hours I did find specs of the CGA3DE which said 72 x 82.8 (B/S) so a little bore and stroke ?

Interesting about better head maybe and cams because it all helps small engines make torque - and spool good turbos .

Distributorless ignition sounds nice . With engine management has anyone thought about using the sensors and CAS off a CA18DET plus its MAF and engine control loom controlled by an Apexi Power FC from the JDM S13 . A bit involved but plenty of scope for a turbo build .

I was looking around the classifieds and noticed the Super S's have a sun roof , all or just some .

Also can you tell me off hand if N15 Pulsar brakes are same as N14 as I just did the pads on the missus N15 and they don't look too bad . I am wondering if one of the local or JDM aluminium floating section calipers may fit and help keep the unsprung weight down a bit .

Sorry so many questions but lots to learn cheers Adrian .

CMF_rlees85

» CMF Member
do you think the cga3de head (incl. cams) will bolt straight onto a coilpack cg10de (with cg13 internals?) even tho the bore sizes are slightly different? (sorry my understanding of engines is limited)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I dont see a reason WHY it wouldnt bolt on. I havent seen the 2 to compare...

However the oil and coolant galleries may be different, top conbustion chamnber area could be different. Lots of things which may prevent the cga head being bolted onto a cg10 block with cg13 internals.

CMF_Tseq

» CMF Member
I've got a 2002 micra and I've swapped cg10 for a cga3.
My mechanic said that you can transplant head and internals from a cg13 to a cg10 because the blocks are identical.The cga3 has a larger cylinder diameter compared to cg13/cg10 and also has different wiring which makes it extremely difficult to match it to an old micra.

Back