CG10 economy with vs. without EGR?

CMF_jmos

» CMF Member
After almost a year I'm still definitely not satisfied with my fuel economy.
My K11 is a 93 model and I'm wondering whether the newer version of the same engine (from 98?) should give me better consumption data?
Does anyone have any experience?

CMF_jmos

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:
"EGR jmos ?

I haven't seen one, but I suppose after 98 or so in Europe every car had to have an EGR valve. That's why I thought newer Micras had these valve system built in.
And as far as I can imagine, as this valve adds exhaust gas to the fresh mix it optimizes the flowing process and increases efficiency.
...if I am right...

CMF_jmos

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"nah, they were,nt fitted mate, and they are merely a NOX emissions measure.

the k11 is no better or worse on fuel than any other small car of that era

Arghh...
Recently I saw an ad they "guaranteed" 4l/100km on an 1998 1.0.
I'm not a rookie driver, but my car will not ever go under 5.1-5.2.
That's why I got the idea of changing the engine - or at least the things around it.
But at first I'll start with a longer gearbox and maybe I'll try to switch off an intake valve per cylinder. But it's only an idea...

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
its like anything , energy out equals energy in , and with engines the energy in is fuel , so the heavier the car , the more drag , the higher changes in speed , the more fuel required . this diesal I am now driving can get 47mpg , but when I floor it the mpg drops to 16-20 .
but I like to throw out any excess wieght , keep the tyres pressures on the high load settings , generally cruise along at 60 mph and dont run with a full fuel tank ( excess weight ) .. I think the "choke" mod to make the ecu think the engine is hot is a good one to try , I did notice the colder months did push the mpg down ..

CMF_jmos

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:
running as a 12 valve should drop the hp nicely,

INCREASING the efficiency of the engine might be wiser

It's good idea to increase efficiency, but how do you mean?
This was the reason I asked whether the 'new' engine is more efficient?
BTW do you know what is the difference between them?
1, Multi coil ignition
2, probaly new computer or sowtware?? (could it be compatible?)
3, ... ?

I don't know about the hp, I rarely rev the engine over 2000. How much could it be? 25-30? I suppose smaller valve diameter is always applied when you want to lower the torque peak.

Of course I did some modifications (and I plan some further also) on accelerator pedal ratio.

Mike R WROTE:
"its like anything , energy out equals energy in , and with engines the energy in is fuel , so the heavier the car , the more drag , the higher changes in speed , the more fuel required . this diesal I am now driving can get 47mpg , but when I floor it the mpg drops to 16-20 .

but I like to throw out any excess wieght , keep the tyres pressures on the high load settings , generally cruise along at 60 mph and dont ...
47mpg is sligthly better than the absolute minimum I could ever reach!
60mpg would be quite impossible - IMHO
I'd expect somewhere around/above 50. With no extra weight of course.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
jmos WROTE:

It's good idea to increase efficiency, but how do you mean?

This was the reason I asked whether the 'new' engine is more efficient?

BTW do you know what is the difference between them?

1, Multi coil ignition

2, probaly new computer or sowtware?? (could it be compatible?)

3, ... ?

I don't know about the hp, I rarely rev the engine over 2000. How much could it be? 25-30? I suppose smaller valve diameter is always applied when you want to lower the torque peak.

Of course I did some modifications (and I plan some further also) on accelerator pedal ratio.

<b

the coilpack models have a very different ecu, and crank sensor on the f/w, and different t/b and sensors
and raising the compression will make it more efficient, as will reducing the parasitic loads (pulley sizes/belt tensions, tyre size and pressures etc)
a 2nd coolant sensor helps to reduce the coldstart enrichment, and you its possible to force the ecu out of closed loop, and into leanburn with a rising rate fuel reg :)

Back