CD Player Died

My wife's cd player (Blaupunkt Valencia) died on the way home from work the other day. I replaced the ten amp fuse and she had music again. However,
while I had the unit out I noticed a black wire (ground?) with a ring terminal coming out of the adaptor harness that looked like it should have be connected somewhere but wasn't. In addition, I have a new Sony cd player (not yet installed) for my Micra and the adaptor harness has a similar black wire. I'm not very familier with car electronics, etc. but it seems these wires should be screwed down somewhere. Correct?

S

yup, the micra doesnt use a negative earth like other cars so you need to ground the black wire to a part of the car body (metal) so that it acts as an earth for the head unit.

If the wire will reach to the passenger footwell there is a earth wire up there already, just slacken off the screw and add the wire to it and tighten it up again, it saves you having to hunt around for a good earth ;)

EDIT:
this post might help you aswell...

http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=3715

Thanks for that, Philzee, you're a gent. Can't understand why the person that installed the player in my wife's Micra didn't ground that wire. (Probably didn't know any more than I did.) Incidentally, I did the search thing but that particular thread didn't come up.

S

philzee said:
the micra doesnt use a negative earth like other cars
I believe it does use negative earth, the positive lead from the battery supplies power to the electrical system, and the negative is fastens to the body as an earth doesn't it.

sonic said:
I believe it does use negative earth, the positive lead from the battery supplies power to the electrical system, and the negative is fastens to the body as an earth doesn't it.

i was just going by what other members have said in a shedload of other posts i found....i was looking for the same info a few days ago when i bought my wife a new blaupunkt cd/mp3 player. I followed everyone's advice and earthed the black wire on the harness (which didnt have a corresponding wire on the nissan connector) and it worked a treat. So i thought i'd pass on my experience to someone else:rolleyes:

Haynes does say negative ground. Nevertheless, I installed the Sony CDX-GT200 in my car this morning and secured the ground wire in one of the old
Blaupunkt mounting screw holes. Everything else was just plug and play using the adaptor. I'm really pleased with this unit. It really makes the Pioneer co-ax speakers (TS-G1749) sing. Now I can stop haunting the charity shops for worn out cassettes.

However, I'm wondering how much of an improvement component speakers are over coaxials? Are they worth the expense.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. Very useful as was the link.

S

Back