Catalytic Convertors

CMF_Vibe7777

» CMF Member
hi guys,

i would like to know how many catalytic convertor a nissan k11 has? I know there one at the manifold end.

if some pics are available please so send me.

thanks

CMF_Vibe7777

» CMF Member
well, guys i've been looking underneath my K11, however there 2 similar boxes....i think i will take the car to a mechanic to dump the second one..

I've already dumped the one at the manifold level, but.....a small problem arise ...the sound's like empty air blowing an bottle

Can it be resolved?

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Exractors? Haha

An ideal cat to replace the standard micra cats would be from an S14 or S15 200SX/Silvia or from an SR20 (even a DET if you get a guarantee that it won't be stuffed) powered N15 Pulsar/N15 Almera/P11 Primera/Y11 Wingroad.

CMF_butters

» CMF Member
i'm in new zealand, there are exhaust noise limits, but exhaust emissions aren't that tough.

the conundrum i would hypothetically face (if i owned a march) is, will it be too loud?

the first thing i would most likely do to the factory exhaust is remove the restrictive cats, leave it standar for a while and eventually get a whole exhaust system fabricated when i can aford it.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
The eastsiders don't have as much freedoms as da' westsiders, ghetto. :(

Despite the fact that I'm pretty sure a well tuned CG motor would pass emissions standards without a cat, I wouldnt risk being caught without one. EPA would fix you up nicely. :(

cisco

» CMF Member
Removing them is for idiots.

Do the right thing for the environment, they are there for a perfectly valid reason. The power loss is minor compared to the risk of a huge fine and the unneccesary crap you are blowing into the air.

cisco

» CMF Member
Removing the main bottom one that is. The front one does stuff all (cold starts only) and isn't needed by law in Aus.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
i still believe the manifold cat is the main cat, the middle is not as effective. in uk micras have failed emissions on having extractors and just middle cat, but never failed when manifold cat fitted and middle cat removed. also since they were 1st made march k11 only ever had the manifold cat. and from 2000 in the uk the micra only has a manifold cat, and thats with much stricter emissions laws in uk.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
The reason why the manifold CAT works "so much better" is very simple.

Area... There is less area for the exhaust gases to heat up. Cat's have a specific heat range in which they function. The second cat (not the manifold cat) has a much greater surface area and thus needs more time/gases to reach operating temperature.

I garauntee the second cat (once at operating temperature) will be more effective than the manifold cat. Most tests are done when the car is cold/mid operating temp and thats part of the reason why they would have failed.

Sean

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
the issue of my emissions test failing because of temperature was not true. with just the 2nd middle cat installed it failed at 3 seperate garages with a an oil temp check at 80+ deg. and full warm up for over 10 minutes with fan cutting in etc. fitted manifold cat and it passed striaght away.

Back