Catalytic Converter

I have a 2001 K11 Micra with a 1.4 litre petrol engine. current mileage is 128 110. The engine warning light has appeared twice in the last nine months, and indicated the same fault code: PO 420. The garage cleared the fault code and installed Cataclean in the petrol tank. The EWL remained "off" for about nine months but it just reappeared today. I had the garage check the fault code, which was the same as before and they removed the code from the memory. They suggested that with the current mileage the catalytic converter was depleted of its active material and the permanent cure would be to fit a new OE one, but not a "pattern" spare as they are not very well made and smaller than the original. (that's why they are cheaper).

How much should a new cat. cost, and where is the best source for the part?

Thanks in anticipation.

I would check the exhaust manifold for a crack between cilinder 2 and 3. That happens alot on the 2nd facelift and can cause that error code.
Also its only a error code due to environmental reasons. It doesnt affect running so i wouldnt replace the cat unless it fails emision tests and is certain that thats due to a broken cat.

I would check the exhaust manifold for a crack between cilinder 2 and 3. That happens alot on the 2nd facelift and can cause that error code.
Also its only a error code due to environmental reasons. It doesnt affect running so i wouldnt replace the cat unless it fails emision tests and is certain that thats due to a broken cat.
Thanks for your reply. If there was a cracked exhaust manifold, wouldn't the EWL remain permanently lit?

Back