Cat..

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Just quick question, is the silencer/cat thats under the car about half way down, needed? i have the one on the bottom of the Mani aswell but just wondered if i removed the second one, would the car pass its emissions test?

People say you can get through an MOT with the first cat only but I guess it can vary for everyone.

So you should be ok removing the second, only way to check is to remove it then get the emissions tested :) Or you could get a decat pipe and stick the cat back on for MOT time, though my cat was a pig to remove ;)

hmm how olds your car? what year? im currently in debate, i know the guys at the local garage/MOT centre so they would advise me if its gonna fail on that before the mot and change it if nessercerry.. any benifits of removing it? currrently i only have the rear silencer emptyed.. so witht he second cat, i would either put a straight through pipe on it or just knock its internals out and keep the box..

Mine's a P reg so 1996?

All the bolts snapped removing it..

I knocked the internals out but you get a hollow sound. Benefits would be more free flowing due to much less restriction.

ahh okay, mine and 02 plate :) so would you recomened bolting on a straight pipe instead? then just swapping between the 2 for the MOT if its gonna fail? does it feel any differnt driving or is it just abit louder?

Removing the cats on any car is always an awesome mod, not only do you get a little bit more power but the car feels much more 'free' through the rev range. I asked this question a little while back and most people reckon that the second cat is pointless anyway as it doesn't get warm enough to do the job.

thats what i was thinking, any restrictions in flow suck :/ and apparently with our engines the best mods you can do are breathing mods, im just weighing up my options, im not planning to get a whole new exhaust system but i was thinking i could remove that cat all together and get my local garage to put on a straight pipe in its place :)

i have a hot rod now and wundering if i removed the first cat at the manifold .but woundering is the plug going into the cat important like what does it do ? thanks

Back