[SOLD] Carb for 1.2 k10 (ma12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Just wondering if anyone out there has a working 1.2 carb for the MA12 engine, it must be the traditional non-cat type carb, NOT the electronically controlled cat version.
I don't need the manifold as i have one already, please don't bother responding if you're going to be asking for silly money because they just ain't worth it no matter what anyone say's remembering that the youngest examples will be around 19 years old.

is there much difference between the ecc type carb and the normal one or is it just the surrounding EGR etc that makes it different i still dont fully understand my car lol

is there much difference between the ecc type carb and the normal one or is it just the surrounding EGR etc that makes it different i still dont fully understand my car lol
The carb on yours has a air fuel ratio solenoid controlled by the ecu that makes the mixture richer/leaner ;)

i have several carbs but unfortunately i cant gaurentee them in any way, whats wrong with yours?

i have several carbs but unfortunately i cant gaurentee them in any way, whats wrong with yours?

It's a 1.0L carb that's what's wrong with it, so the jets are wrong for the 1.2 thus making it tempremental and not reliable.
Unfortunately the 1.2 engine was introduced in 1989 and most of them were fitted up with the ecu controlled carb and cat set-up, so it's no easy to find the standard mechanical carb type. Most breaker's yards these days destroy k10's as soon as they come in simply because they're old cars and not many people buy parts for them, unless they're micra people like us that is.
And Shaun; if you don't understand your engine then don't mess with it coz it will come back to bite you in the a***.

Thanks for your kind words :p I have a lovely guide to follow and if all fails can always put it back the way it was :)

the jets in the 1 litre carb are actually bigger than the 1.2 one, however i ran a 1 liter carb on my 1.2 engine for going on 2 years with no problems, ran sweet as a nut, idled all weatheres, fired first turn of the key with 3 inches of frozen snow on the car, i have also run the same 1 litre carb on my cg10 stroker engine, slightly rejetted, id be inclined to say there might be something else wrong.

as far as im aware the 1 liter and 1.2 carbs are identicle apart from the jets.

how is it not running right? whats tempremental about it?

tell us youe symptoms.

It's all down to the mixture, I can't get it set right for that engine because the jets ain't the size the engine wants. So i get a jackll and hyde effect; a bobbly tick-over that sends wobbles and tremours through the body, but sweet running when driving. The exhaust puffs every 5secs or so and if it's left idling and isn't driven it overheats the manifold and coughs when the accelarator is pressed. It suffers from vapor-lock because the crap mixture allows it to overheat. So it seems that i'm getting one mixture on idle and another when driving. I've checked the engine out and i know for a fact that it's all relating to the carb, so that's why i'm going to put the correct type on there instead of messing around with short-term fixs.

seems really wired to me mate, a bobbly tickover and overheating, rings alarm bells to me, not relating to the carb but at an engine fault, headgasket maybe? does the rad fan kick up when its ideling?

must be something different to mine as i deffinately ran a 1 litre carb on my 1.2 for going on 2 years with non of the problems you have mentioned, one of my 1.2's even burned nearly as much oil as petrol and was still ok,

how have you got the mixture screw set? 2 turns open from fully closed/seated?

It all works so well that you can set your watch by it. It doesn't burn oil or water, makes no mayo goo. It's an ex cat engine running on a 1.0L carb and distributor. The mixture has been set the way it should, turn out untill the idle speed no longer increases, adjust tick over and refine. It's definately the jets as i've had this problem on some of my old motorbikes, where people have messed around fitting "performance" carbs. So i'm putting the correct carb on there before i do anything else and if it makes no difference then it doesn't matter, at least i'll have the right carb on there.
One thing i'd like to ask you superls is about your fuel economy, is/was your 1.2 thirsty regardless of how it was driven? Mine is giving close to 50mpg with steady motorway driving (62-70mph) but giving more along the lines of 30mpg local driving. I was wondering if the biggers jets are causing this or if they all have drinking problems. Then again my 1.0L was exceptional on fuel, i managed 60mpg on motorway and at least 50mpg local. It once drank one complete half of all it's oil in one 100mile trip though so it was quit literally costing me more on oil than fuel as i only use magnatec.

I have one which is off of a GSX 1.2.

DSCF2013.jpg

It all works so well that you can set your watch by it. It doesn't burn oil or water, makes no mayo goo. It's an ex cat engine running on a 1.0L carb and distributor. The mixture has been set the way it should, turn out untill the idle speed no longer increases, adjust tick over and refine. It's definately the jets as i've had this problem on some of my old motorbikes, where people have messed around fitting "performance" carbs. So i'm putting the correct carb on there before i do anything else and if it makes no difference then it doesn't matter, at least i'll have the right carb on there.
One thing i'd like to ask you superls is about your fuel economy, is/was your 1.2 thirsty regardless of how it was driven? Mine is giving close to 50mpg with steady motorway driving (62-70mph) but giving more along the lines of 30mpg local driving. I was wondering if the biggers jets are causing this or if they all have drinking problems. Then again my 1.0L was exceptional on fuel, i managed 60mpg on motorway and at least 50mpg local. It once drank one complete half of all it's oil in one 100mile trip though so it was quit literally costing me more on oil than fuel as i only use magnatec.

ok then, im out of ideas, i guess the carb is the only thing to try then, my economy is pretty mich clost to yours but a bit different, i would never get no where near 50 on a run, only around 45mpg, but i had a 4-2-1 manifold and a few other mods. and about town driving with some spirited back/country lanes id get around 35mpg.

That's it with micras they always find new ways to stump you on something lol. I've done some more fine tuning and it's a little sweeter now apart from the occasional "rally pop" burble when shifting gear, my 1.0L used to do that on every change without fail which was always fun in a tunnel. Just out of interest superls what milage is on your 1.2, mine was on 117k when i put it in, it'll be on 118k by now i should imagine but that said it's suprisingly tight for it's age. I suspect it was a motorway engine for most of it's life.
micra 110; that's from an 1.2 automatic isn't it? Looks like you have a dashpot on the back of it, i'm affraid dorset is a bit far for me to come since i'm up in leeds area, thanks though.

That's it with micras they always find new ways to stump you on something lol. I've done some more fine tuning and it's a little sweeter now apart from the occasional "rally pop" burble when shifting gear, my 1.0L used to do that on every change without fail which was always fun in a tunnel. Just out of interest superls what milage is on your 1.2, mine was on 117k when i put it in, it'll be on 118k by now i should imagine but that said it's suprisingly tight for it's age. I suspect it was a motorway engine for most of it's life.
micra 110; that's from an 1.2 automatic isn't it? Looks like you have a dashpot on the back of it, i'm affraid dorset is a bit far for me to come since i'm up in leeds area, thanks though.

id say i had a similar ammount of miles on my last 1.2 engine, maybe a bit less, who knows in a car that takes 2 minutes to 'clock', the 1.2 carbs i have look like the one micra 110 posted i think,

Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to tell the difference between a 1.0 and 1.2 carb? something stamped somewhere perhaps as i know they are hitachi DCZ306-??
any other tell tale signs? as am planning on getting one from the scrappies today as i have been quoted £15 for one. (and it would make life a lot easier for me)

The way to tell for sure is to see the engine it belongs to and look at the engine number on the front, ma10 or ma12. The only diff between the two is the jet sizes inside so it's best to look on the engine if they still have it. If they say it's 1.2 and give you a 1.0 then just take it back and lamp em round the head with it, it won't change the carb but it'll sure make you feel better.
Yours is the ecc set up yeah? what are you planning on converting it backwards to standard carb type? If so make sure you get an electronic/non ecc distributor, coil, wiring loom, intake manifold, front main interior wiring loom etc...

thankyou porkpie! managed to pick up a 1.2 carb today for £15 all fitted up now just the little bit of wiring to sort out then should be able to test it tomorrow or monday so fingers crossed all that will be left to sort out will be the exhaust manifold then its down to MOT time!
thanks again

shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back