Car wont Start

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Apologies if this turns out to be a lengthy read:

Started the car yesterday morning (8:10am) for work,car was fine. Started the car at 5:30pm and the end of my shift and the car was fine. Went to go take the girlfriend home at about Midnight last night and it wouldnt start at all.

Checked the battery connections,all seemed fine. Tried starting it this morning (luckily my day off) and still nothing. Just popped to work to get the battery tested and the battery is fine.

The engine turns over (engine rocks,belt moves) but its not firing. I'm gonna try Bump Starting it to see if that works. Also bought a new set of Ignition Leads and set of Spark Plugs,which i'll be fitting now.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I had a search through on here and some people have found its the plugs/distributor cap. Also the terminals could be loose,but i checked them and they seem fine.

Tried bump starting it just now and it wont. I've mis-placed my Spark Plug Socket so will get one tomorrow at work or see if i can borrow one tonight.

Flooded? Take out the fuel pump fuse, turn over the engine for a few seconds, then put the fuse back in a try again.

Other then that, oil on the spark plugs (doubt it'll be on all 4 of them) or somethings up with the dizzy.

Checked everywhere under the bonnet and there seems to be no traces of water. Bonnet raisers had been taken off weekend before we got the heavy rain.

Had a friend of mine who works at Nissan come round with his diagnostic machine,unfortunately it was unable to read the ECU. We thought the After Market alarm was stopping us from reading it.Also it was a possibilty it was tripping the Immobiliser,stopping the car sparking and fuelling.

1 and a half hours later the alarm is stripped out and dis-connected (aswell as the Immobiliser) and the car STILL wont start. Managed to get hold of another Distributor & Cap,should be fitting those in the next day or so.

Another weird thing is,when the key is turned once.usually you can hear the Fuel Pump...but i cant :( So its either the Distributor,ECU or the Fuel Pump.

BUT it cant just be the Fuel Pump as its not sparking....

I dunno....i'm sooo confused (and mega pi**ed off aswell!)

happened to me at a petrol station, was working and then it wasnt within 5 minutes! i spent a whole day going over everything and swapping things and it turned out to be the dizzy.

Fitted the new Distributor,new Distributor Cap,new Leads and it STILL wont start :( My friend is coming over again tomorrow hopefully with the Diagnostic Machine,also bringing the Workshop Manual from work and another ECU

CAR IS NOW RUNNING :D

We took at look at the ECU ready to replace it,and there was a loose wire/pin. Took it out,re-plugged it and it started :D

Took it down the road for a quick test and its all fine

well the ecu controls everything so no spark and no fuel pump priming and all fuses and relays ok it can only be one thing baker haha im glad it is going please ask me any question if you need it bud.

Thanks to Matt1987 for the help! But my bad luck continues! Same info as what i posted in my project topic:

Got it started Sunday and was fine all sunday night. Got it back into the city to meet a few people,went to start it and the Engine Management light flashed and the car cut out after 5secs. Disconnected the battery for 10mins,reconnected it and wouldnt start at all.

Connected battery again,wouldnt start at all. Left it 5mins,turned the key and it started! Idled fine,so i drove it home.

Woke up this morning to find the nearside rear tyre was completely flat,tried the car and wouldnt start at all (fuel pump wasnt priming either).

So now back to square 1 :(

Thanks to Matt1987 for the help! But my bad luck continues! Same info as what i posted in my project topic:

Got it started Sunday and was fine all sunday night. Got it back into the city to meet a few people,went to start it and the Engine Management light flashed and the car cut out after 5secs. Disconnected the battery for 10mins,reconnected it and wouldnt start at all.

Connected battery again,wouldnt start at all. Left it 5mins,turned the key and it started! Idled fine,so i drove it home.

Woke up this morning to find the nearside rear tyre was completely flat,tried the car and wouldnt start at all (fuel pump wasnt priming either).

So now back to square 1 :(

oh damn!! how old is the car mate? how bad I hope I could do anything to helpo you sort this issue.. I'd despair if it happens to my car.. I don't think it was that wire from the ecu that fixed the problem. have you got the haynes manual.. is the engine still turning? or none now?

car turns over but doesnt start. Car is a '99 plate (S reg) Its been absolutely fine the past 1 year i've had her. Except last tuesday when she started to play up :(

have you tried above advice on taking fuel pump fuse out?

Do this, keep turning it over till no fuel left, then replace the fuse. K11's have a very common habit of flooding, this will stop it starting.

Do try this ALWAYS first if the car won't start.

Right,solved the problem of the ECU and fuel pump. It was the wire going from the ECU to the Relay. Re-wired that and the ECU turns on every time,and the fuel pump primes every time.

Trouble is now,theres no spark! So my friend is gonna have a read in the workshop manual and come back round tomorrow

Bad luck continues!

The car has been running very tempermental the past few days. Thursday it worked fine,went to start it and it didnt. Poked around with the Relay and got it working.

Sunday just gone went to start the car and it didnt start. So i thought it was the relay (as that was the only problem). Nope,wasnt that,as the fuel pump kicked in everytime.

Theres Fuel and theres a spark,but the engine management light constantly flashes. I've disconnected the battery and left it for 24hrs,so tomorrow night i'll re-connect it and see what happens. Also gonna check the ECU to see if the red LED is on.

If the LED is on,then power is getting to the ECU. Which then means theres a fault with the ECU.

Just been speaking to Alienfish on MSN and came up with its the NATS thats stopping the car from starting.As Phil has had the same problem in the past.

What i'll have to do is get a Non-Nats ECU and re-wire the loom to convert it over

Ed can supply you with a plug in ECU to remove nats, so you don't have to rewire, for a hundred quid i believe.

This is becoming a BIG joke now....

Disconnected the battery and left it for 36hrs. Connected it back up,turned the key and the Engine Management light wasnt flashing. Turned the key fully and she started! So turned it off and started her and repeated that about 5 or 6 times,started every time.

Took her round the block,got back and turned her off and on,started every time again. Last night i went for a drive and parked up to chat to someone. Heard a noise coming from my engine bay,thought it was the Air Filter so ignored it.

The noise carried on,so i popped the bonnet and the Expansion tank/bottle next to the battery was boiling (the water was boiling and evapourating out of the top). So ran to the door and turned it off,noticed the temperature gauge was pretty much right to the top.

Left it 15mins and took the cap off the expansion tank. Was just water,luckily no oil. Took the radiator cap off and was full to the brim with water. Checked all pipes,including the one from expansion tank to radiator. Checked underneath the expansion tank and there was no holes or cracks.

Noticed my fan wasnt kicking in,managed to bridge the relay and got it working. Found one of the brackets holding the fan to the car had snapped. It sounded like it was catching on something (must have been cos its broken).

Put some more water in the tank,and bridged the fan just to get me home.

Luckily earlier in the week i got 2 new relays (inc wiring) from a local scrap yard (charged me £5!) so will be swapping the fan relay over at some point. K6PFS is bringing a fan over to me on Monday so will be fitting that Monday night i presume.

Managed to get home and the temperature stayed half way (where it usually is) and the water wasnt boiling.

Could have been a number of things,including the water pump,thermastat,fan switch,relay etc.

Fingers crossed its the fan and the relay!

So my bad luck STILL continues!

this is so fckin unbelievable!! man everything seems breaking up in your engine WTF is happening, see how it goes with the temp issue now, hope it solves your problem , which I doubt it will..

else have you considered swapping the engine, it's easy to get your hands on a good micra engine there in the UK unlike here in MALTA. cos what has happened in these last weeks is so ####in terrible man, if I were in your position I'm sure I'd start hating the micra it has become so unreliable.

how bad I'd like to help you out on this one man!

Changing the engine wont change anything,as its the electrical side that seems to be the problem. Plus the engine in there at the moment is only 8 months old.

If its the relay at fault,i can understand why as the relays have been played about with when we tried getting the fuel pump relay to work. The broken fan bracket i cant explain how that happened as i'm not sure myself.

oh dear man hope this gets sorted i dont know where i would be without my car like its really anoying when you just want something to work

Back