Car starts then turns off

3ddice

Buy & Sell Member
Ive just recently had a problem on my k11, i went to do some shopping, got back in the car, started it and after about 3 seconds it turns off with the engine management light flashing. ive tried to start it again but i get the same as stated above. ive checked all the fuses, all are fine, disconnected the battery, its had a recent service, oil fuel filter etc, any ideas?

that's NATS stopping the engine.

It will have started because of fuel left over, as NATS cuts the fuel not the spark, but once that fuel is gone it will cut out. If you keep trying, eventually it won't start at all.

You're going to need to take it to Nissan to fix it.

Haynes manual says:

Loose or faulty electrical connections in the ignition circuit. (could be the fuses in the engine bay getting water in and corroding. Pull them out and check them.)

Vacuum Leak at the throttle body or inlet manifold.

Fuel Injector system fault.

Hard to tell really as it can be more things than that but they would be a good start to check.

Also it could be NATS, that's going to be a pain in the ass if so, but mine was doing the same and wasn't nats :D

That's what everyone said to me, then I realized that a Fuse has corroded away at the fuseholder and was just giving the exact symptoms of NATS fault.

Nissan Anti Theft System iirc

Yeah Imoblilizer

in that case check the fuses in the engine bay in the little black fuse boxes, it's a red one if you had the same problem as me.

take them all out and give them a bit of a clean with some sandpaper and see if any are broken.

Mine was in peices when I took it out but looked fine from outside.

Is there no way to reset it without going to nissan?, just thinking about it makes me cringe with the amount they will probably charge to do it..

I will have another look at the fuses again in the morning, meanwhile any other ideas?

Nah that's all it can be, what Haynes said (but the vaccume sounds unlikely)

and NATS, which you will have to go to a nissan dealer for, as it is there system nobody else can access it. And it's very secure because it is a security system...

meanwhile any other ideas?

if you drop some fuel down the t/b or soak the airfilter and it runs for about 6-8 secs, then its a fuel supply problem (nats, fuelpump, injector fuse etc)
if you can hear the pump kick in for a few secs, then it may be the injector fuse
if not, it may be nats (or pump, relay, ecu etc) :)

Get a quote for it first, there may be ways around it I haven't heard of also, I think you can change the NATS from another micra if you take the whole thing. So don't lose hope :)

Can you afford to replace the car? if the car is in otherwise good condition, and low miles then £200 for Nissan to sort NATS is cheaper than scrapping and buying again.

you can reset the ecu by taking the battery out over night. check the coil and the key, the little red chip in the key is what makes it all work.

what you could try if you have reached all ends, is hotwire the fuel pump relay, just wire it into the live feed from the ignition and that should override it but i have never tried it myself

what you could try if you have reached all ends, is hotwire the fuel pump relay, just wire it into the live feed from the ignition and that should override it

it looks like the pump relay is signaled from the ecu via earth (black/yellow to earth should bypass it) but this would also bypass the fuelcut safety feature, and could be dangerous in an accident

it looks like the pump relay is signaled from the ecu via earth (black/yellow to earth should bypass it) but this would also bypass the fuelcut safety feature, and could be dangerous in an accident

if you could some how wire it to a signal from the ECU that is also only active when the engine is running then that would be better

Hey guys, thanks for your help, but it is now sorted, we jump started it after the battery nearly died and is now running fine, it probably reset the NATS.

Problem comes back

The problem as mentioned earlier has come back with a revenge, this time it corroded the ecu, we are trying to clean it, but if it doesnt work we may need to just get another ecu, without NATS this time I reckon.

Back