Starts then cuts out

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Had this problem twice now about a month apart.

Car starts, runs rough for a few seconds then cuts out.

When I turn it over again it might take 30secs to fire into life and I need to keep the revs high else it cuts out.

After 15secs of revving it's fine and runs normal. Even starts normal after.

This first started when my friend decided to spray my alternator about 2 inches away with a 100+psi jet wash

Duff alternator? Loose belt?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

Sounds like dampness.

Had this problem everytime it rained lol.

Changed the dizzy and ht leads and never had it since.

And mine started with engine bay jet wash too. Maybe a seal in the dizzy

Glen said:
Does your eml flash?
Do I have one?

I have oil light and battery light with the ignition.

No others light up

I've started and driven the car about 5 times since no problems.

Thanks guys. Was worrying it was nats.

Won't worry too much as I'm after a new lump anyway

I think water could deffo be a key factor I drown mine the other day attempting a ford crossing (fail) went in a little to fast...
I just got extension and the sisters hair drier worked a treat ;)

How much petrol I'd in the tank when it happens? Mine does this still when I am in the red however it is perfect with anything over. I've narrowed mine down to needing a new tank

sr_steve said:
How much petrol I'd in the tank when it happens? Mine does this still when I am in the red however it is perfect with anything over. I've narrowed mine down to needing a new tank

Half a tank.
It hasn't done it since that day. Not misfired once either.

Weird xD

I am fed up nowadays. It's happen in every morning (first start in everyday). I haven't solve this problem yet but in soon, i will find out. I got two videos that i want to show you guys.. Does anyone know this problem or have this problem before? so i can save my time lol.

videos are coming soon.... First one is done now so second one will come in soon.

cheers jk

First vid: my house is on the main road so i drove to the main road. i put signal to right before i pass to this mini roundabout. it was cut out before i turn to right. i lost my control so i had to put key on quickly then accelerate quick to right.

oh yea, i do get blue smokey and smell like petrol burnt sometimes. if my car was cut out then i had to start the engine then out with gas pedal on. (like up,down,up,down,up,down for like 30seconds) i know its not good but i was hurry to my workplace sometimes.

the battery is a bit low atm so i tried to charge up alot of times. In soon, i need to get a new battery. Alternator..... i will check with this soon. its got black dirt around on it :S. still i got a spare one. its worth to try out... thanks jk

McMicra said:
Possibly your alternator isn't working properly or the battery isn't holding its charge?

I think McMicra is right......

I done service my car yesterday so I tho it will be ok. Today, I did my first start on my GX so it was cut outs 4 times. FFS.

Right now, it got with this alternator or battery. Is it possible if I can repair/refurbish this alternator? How can i find out if this alternator is low voltage? And also i got spare alternator as well. ( it's in other town so I will come this weekend to get this spare alternator.)

Any advice please?
Cheers jk

Anyway, I think I need to clean this dizzy cap (white oxide) and to remove these dirt from alternator. It might be work so I will see my cousin soon hopefully.

Found one solution so far....

My battery is reading 13.53v which is bad battery. I need to change new battery soon. I haven't find other problems with dizzy, drive belts and water pump. In soon, I will do it. I will update when I put new parts in.

Edit: alternator is good as well.

jk

Back