car leasing

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
can anybody give me info on car leasing?
how it works, costs, termiantion fees, can you buy the car at end of lease, and any info on it?
is it better to lease or just get a personal loan?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Theres lots of lease plans out there. You've got to find one that suits you, or find what plans are available to you.

Check with your employer too, they may have lease plans available to you.

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
yeah i will be checking with employer as soon as i get a new position i applied for. if i get it i will become a fully qualified public servant bludger as they are well known. they deffinately do lease plans but i wont ask till i get hte position.

a car i have been looking at today which is super sexy is the audi s3!! damn nice car. but prob to much. even second hand they would be too much. i still trying to figure out how much ill spend. coz so many thigns to think of. such as future wedding, house and all the other bits. do i spend money on good car now then sell when i have to or do get cheaper car and save money and wait for ages to get a newer nice car?

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Brendo, seriously go for the cheaper car now.

Sell the GTiR, buy an N15/N16 Pulsar... Save Save Save

BUY A HOUSE!! It is the absolute best financial investment you can ever make without going into the nitty gritty of market shares/government bonds

After 2 years of owning your own house, you can have that Audi mate

Equity is your friend

I'd VERY HIGHLY recommend talking to a financial advisor

Sean

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
yeah but where am i gonna buy a house? i still dont know if ill end up living in sydney or staying in canberra. i spose i could buy a house and just rent it out. first home buyers grant and all that stuff.

n15/16 pulsar around 15k mark. i would rather buy an older gti golf or audi a3. i could do that i think

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
N16 would be around the $15k mark. Booooring.

N15 might be uglier but at least you can get an SSS with the SR20DE. Not bad little cars at all. I prefer the micra to drive but I think the n15 is definately better for availability of spare parts. Plus its got that lovely 2.0L which just oozes low end to medium torque - really does pull the old pulsars along quite adequately.

If you want to save, stick with a commonly found jap car.

And I agree with life coach (I didn't know you were branching out into finanical services seano :p), consider housing before a nice car.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Brendo,

You can only apply for the first home buyers grant if you actually live in the residence for 12 months (used to be 6 months but someone got bored and decided to change legislation again)

Best bet would be to buy one using a RAMS no deposit home loan (THIS IS ONLY A SUGGESTION, SEEK <I>COMPETENT</I> FINANCIAL ADVICE, live in it for 12 months with 1 or 2 mates to help pay the mortgage then either rent it out or move in by yourself/with your partner

Hope this helps mate,

Sean

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
i still need a car either way. and it needs to be half descent as i do a lot of driving.

i will deffinately look into houses though. it something i really should do.

cars will be either audi 13 or gti golf i think. can pick em up for around 18-22k. but still could change. i had a guy look at car yesterday he seemed interested. they all usually do but will see what happens

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Seriously Brendo...

$13,000 on a car MAX! You can get a virtually as new Echo with all the trimmings etc.. for that price with under 30,000km on it. $50 a week and only around $650 a year for insurance. That or you could get a decent AU Fairmont for somewhere around that (ask cisco) that is LUXURIOUS. Sure its a boat but parts are easy as to come by, driving to and from Sydney will be like driving to the shops and its still relatively cheap to run petrol wise. In my honest opinion, buying something common like a Fairmont will benefit you no end in your financial future..

Do the maths, but thats ALOT of saving compared to owning a European 'Sports Hatch' in petrol, maintenance, parts and insurance costs.

I know its hard to drive a 'gay' car but the amount of savings you will make in just one year will most certainly outweigh the negatives.

Also, another thing I need to add in is if you have any debt after you sell the R, PAY THAT OFF BEFORE YOU THINK OF DOING ANYTHING ELSE. If you only listen to one thing that I ever say then listen to this. The most effective way of increasing financial wealth and stability is to remove all debt from your portfolio. Pay off every cent and only take out a loan for appreciating assets (property, businesses etc..) and not for 'luxury' items (as hard as it is to beleive, cars are luxuries). If I could go back in time, I'd invest every single cent that I spent on the old Micra (incl. labour) into bluechips. If I'd have done that, I'd probably be living next door to Aaron in my own house.

Give yourself a realistic goal of 2 years to owning your own home/apartment/invest over $10,000 into shares. Create smaller goals like saving a minimum of 30% of total cashflow intake for 2 consecutive months, 4, then 6, then eventually a year. You'd be surprised the amount of money that 30% can accumulate to.

Sean - I feel like an accountant

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
thanks for the info. yeah i been looking the past day into buying an apartment in sydney somewhere or a house in canberra. when R is sold all that i owe on it will be deffinately paid off.
i spose i have to keep looking for a smaller car.
i figured id spend a little more on a car because i am in the damn things so often and do a lot of driving to and from sydney.
where do i find out info on shares coz i dont have a clue where to look or how to invest in them.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
I'd definately approach your bank/financial institution and ask to speak with a financial advisor.

Either that or look for them in the Yellopages.

This is the best move you'll ever make regarding your future maaaaate

Seano

cisco

» CMF Member
Brendo,

You gunna buy something like an S3 and still live at home with Mum and Dad ? Hehehehe.. You bum!

Getting married soon? That is exciting though! What the?! cool!!!!

Don't even consider a personal loan to buy a car. Its a pit of debt, its the worst thing to do with your money. There are no benefits. You are belted with interest (usually a lot higher than the typical interest rate that you would get with a home or home/equity loan).. There are no tax benefits or anything with a personal loan. You go into debt, you pay a lot of interest, and your car depreciates like hell, so you sell it for a lot less later, and are still are responsible for all the debt you originally borrowed.

For your situation of employment, e.g. steady income, permanent etc.. If you are set on buying a flash car, a novated lease is definitely the way to go. There are a ga-zillion tax benefits and things that you can benefit from, depending on who you go with. There are different types of leases, it HAS TO be a "novated" lease. Not a normal standard lease..

Yes you can buy the car outright from the leasing company at any time, but this price changes throughout the life cycle of the lease. So its dearer near the start, and gets cheaper for you to buy it as the car depreciates and you get closer to the end of the original lease term. E.g. normally 3 years, 4 years can be common too.

A lot of the government places have pre-configured things with "Leaseplan". Leaseplan look attractive at the start, because they bundle a high level of "features" and services into the whole package for you. E.g. they register the car, they do everything. You just go pick up the car and drive it. Its always serviced and got tyres for you.In terms of administrative hassles and paperwork and ringing up for quotes etc, that's all done for you. Makes life easy.. BUT.. The catch with leaseplan is that they lock you into a higher residual value at the end. So say you get a WRX and wanna buy it outright after 3 years.. If you went with leaseplan, they might make you pay $19,000 to buy the car outright.. But if you went with a more core-financial type of lease company, it might be as little as $16,000. Just examples, not based on real numbers.. So Leaseplan could cost you an extra few grand at the end, where as the other company can give you the car for cheaper and you make those few grand back on profit if you sell the car straight away.

CBFC is one of the other major companies. That is who my car runs through. Their numbers, particularly their residual value, are more competitive than lease plan.. But with CBFC, basically all they do is hook up the finance and pay for the car. You still have to go negotiate with the dealer, get the cheapest tyres you want, pay for everything yourself. But then run it all through your employer as tax benefits compared to with leaseplan its already bundled into the main package in a single place, i.e. single expense. But Leaseplan will cost you more in the long run, and its pretty much hassle free for me. I just keep all my receipts and they just go to my employer once a fortnight and get processed and you get reimbursed.

You can go berzerk on what you can benefit from. The only thing you can't claim are parking tickets and fines/speeding tickets etc. You can buy a brand new GPS for the car, and its a vehicle expense, e.g. so costs you half price. All petrol, all cleaning products (go buy the best Maguiars microfibre wash mit, super x generation mega bucks car wash, the best chamois, and a red bucket), they are all expenses. Take your car to a car detailer, that's an expense. Buy a personalised number plate that says "BRENDO" - that's an expense. Of course, also is all servicing and tyres.. So basically it costs you next to nothing to run a latest model pretty flash car and you always get all the best stuff for it.

Money that you would have normally donated to the government to pay for all the lovely people on the dole, now pays for your car and all the associated gadgets and cleaning products that you get for it.

I did heaps of sums, and it worked out next to exactly the same to "own" the fairmont (worth only about 10 grand), as it cost to "lease" the $30k colt ralliart. Consider that the $10 grand in cash just sitting there to "own" the fairmont, is real cash that could be paid off my mortgage to reduce interest. Every single expense to do with the fairmont you pay for in full out of your own cash and you can't claim a single cent of it - that's why you don't get a personal loan, there are just no benefits. Plus the fairmont depreciates in real cash, where as with a lease, you just keep paying the monthly amount as you go, you are guaranteed getting the car for the originally agreed residual amount that the lease company promised you. So when the lease ends, most people get a small loan to buy their car back from the lease company, sell it for a few grand profit, then go and lease another brand new car.. Like a continuous cycle etc.

Get a few quotes, most of them have calculators online, including leaseplan.. But compare the difference in after-tax cash in the hand that say owning a $60,000 STI would be compared to owning a $30,000 colt ralliart. Even though the car is double the value, the lease will not work out at double the cost. Because you pay for it with pretend tax money. So you can actually benefit more by getting a more expensive car. Yeah it will cost you more, but not double like if the car's value was double. Just depends on where you wanted to draw the line. I am trying to focus on getting ahead, and I love that the colt doesn't use hardly any petrol. So I opted for a pretty small/cheap lease and a car with low running costs. But there's not much difference, so you could easily get some complete flash machine and it doesn't cost you that much more.. Remember, even something like an EVO that guzzles a bit more fuel, will still only cost you half of that fuel, because its all claimed. So it encourages you to drive the out of the car, and put a lot of Kms on it. Extremely backwards and bad for emissions and the kyoto agreement I know. Stupid way the system works, but you might as well just benefit from it when the tax rates are so high.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Hey Brendo

Buy cisco's Colt! With the cool remote controlled wing mirrors... Then you'll have a cool, cheap car and cisco can move to Japan (jealousy is a sin, jealousy is a sin, jealousy is a sin..)

Seano

cisco

» CMF Member
Come on Brendo. I'll do you a top deal. Save a fair chunk compared to buying it brand spanking new. Still only 4100Km on the clock.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Haha you crack me up cisco. Pay for your car and all the best expenses for it instead of to support the whinging lazy arse beer metho drinking dole bludgers. Just fantastic mate.

Get a job bloody dole bludgers.

cisco

» CMF Member
electronic handling!!! hehe

MIVEC!!!

Plush recaro seats!!!

Heaps of other stuff, its a mad little car.

Haha Yom, that's awesome. Bloody bludgers.

CMF_nigel brown

» CMF Member
theres a couple of colts around here but they pretty much suck espesialy compared to that lil lot theres one thats all rite ne of my mates cars hes running chrome 17" ralliart custom splits custom 3" exhuast lowered to f#@k and a very nice custom fibre glass install throughout the car but i think youres mite be better lol :)

Back