First Car =o)

CMF_Buddha

» CMF Member
Hi, it's a pleasure to be a part of this community...

I have recently purchased my first car, and am very happy with my 93 1.3 k11...
before i bought it, i felt like it was the one... ya
know? ... and i think our relationship is going to blossom as we spend more time together ;o)
the thing is, i dont have a very high knowledge of cars.

i was told i was buying a 1.3 micra, and that it was a japanese import... on the back of the car there is no indication of the size of the engine or the type (lx,slx,super s) ...

i would like to know, is there any way for me to find out the info about this car? ... and where? and is there any other information about the car i should know about and how/where to find it.
hopefully i will have it(her) insured this week
(i cant wait to get on the road, at 22 i think its about time!)

there are a few minor things that have to be done to fix her up, but they shouldn't be a problem...
also, i am getting excited at the thought of modding,
i think a respray is in order too as the grey is nice but there is rust and i think a fresh coat (black,white...not sure yet) will significantly give it a new lease of life =o)

Thanks for your time and help,
Shay (The Irish Connection)

Also, are there any other members from ireland here???

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Plenty of irish members. Unknown as to whether they're short, green and have rather high voices though.

As for your engine size, have a look on the block. On the front of the engine about mid-way down on the edge where the gearbox is bolted up to the block it'll say "CG10" or "CG13". 10 = 1.0L and 13 = 1.3L.

Also have a look at your vehicle's build plates to see where the car was built. IF there's japanese writing on them... well go figure hah.

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Shay,

Welcome to this website and congratulations on buying your micra as a first car. I hope you have many thousands of miles of happy motoring together !.

Under the bonnet there should be a metal plate with letters & numbers stamped on it. This will include information like the vehicle ID number, date built & model of your micra. It will be mounted on the "firewall" behind the engine on the drivers side of the car.

In Australia the following rules apply with identifying the model of micra ;
- If it has four doors then it's an SLX.
- If it has ABS brakes, four wheel disc brakes, a sunroof, tachometer, driving lights & alloy wheels then it's a Super S.
- If it has two doors and doesn't have the Super S features listed above then it must be an LX. ...

By the way, in Japan the micra is known as the "Nissan March"... you may see this name somewhere on the car if it's a Japanese import.

In terms of "modding" your car the following article is a good place to start ; http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/1500powerup.php

Yes, there are a few members of this site who are also from Ireland.

CMF_Buddha

» CMF Member
Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated :)

i have discovered that it is an LX 1.3 (1275) ... and is definitely a japanese import... either that or imported by aliens (due to strange symbols on parts of the car) :p

it was the first time i have really looked under the hood of a car,
and i have to say i enjoyed it more because it was the hood of my own car ;) ... my knowledge has increased tenfold already... i am looking forward to a future as a car enthusiast... and definitely a micra enthusiast! ... i have fallen for mine! lol :D

i would love to be able to service it myself, any tips?
also, i would like to make handling one of the priorities...
in fact, i would love to learn and eventually know everything about it!
how, why, what, when, whatever! .... do you think the hayes micra manual is good? would you recommend? i think they are hard to find but i might be able to get one on ebay...

i cant wait to get on the road and spend time with it... getting to know it, ya know?
... is this how all (most people) feel about there first car or is it like this everytime?... i dont think i am the first and certainly wont be the last! :p ... i never thought i would feel like this over a car! lol ... madness! :D

just out of interest... do ye name yer cars? and if so... what?
... i like White-Knights names, pity he gotta depart with one... my heart goes out to ya bud ;)

i hope to have a few pics up soon... she may not be the best lookin car... but she mine! ... and it has been said "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" ;)

One

Ps... I have also been thinking about an irish micra club... twud be kewl... but i think i would have to wait until my own knowledge and experience increases... twud be fun though!

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
yeah a lot of people have named there cars.
to find out about your car just read articles on the net about cars and servicing. serviceing your own car is a piece of cake. there a few little things you need to know and some tools you should get and once you know how to do it its easy. oil changes, oil, air and fuel filters, brake pads, handbrake tension adjusting. there are 1000's of articles all over the net about this. but here ask a question and you will get an answer. remember to make use of the search button.

handling. first up
rear adjustable swaybar, lowered springs and strut braces.
ultimate in handling would be to get a complete suspension kit and coilovers but your looking at about $3000 for all that.

and buddha remember you have entered the world of cars. prepare to be eating noodles or rice every night as you spend all your money on modifying your car.
do lots of research before buying parts to make sure its the right thing to purchase or not.

enjoy!

CMF_S2000

» CMF Member
Good man. The Micra/March is a great first car. Getting a 1.3 will put you are couple of steps before others....Like me =(
My March is my first car and it still going strong. Just beginning to do some modifying. Haha I have time on my side tho being 16.

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
i cant wait to get on the road and spend time with it... getting to know it, ya know?
... is this how all (most people) feel about there first car or is it like this everytime?... i dont think i am the first and certainly wont be the last! :p ... i never thought i would feel like this over a car! lol ... madness! :D

just out of interest... do ye name yer cars? and if so... what?

Hi Buddha, I think Micras worm their way into every one's heart who owns/drives them. There's just something about them that is very endearing, probably their looks and most of all their reliability. For instance, I just purchased a new Suzuki Swift Sport but I cannot bear to part with my little Mic (pronounced Mike). When I think about selling her I feel sick in the stomach, so she's staying with me until I cannot afford her any more ie two regos, two insurances etc. I still take her out for a daily run, I washed and waxed it the other day just so she doesn't get the idea that she's old hat now that the new one is here. I actually go out and talk to my car so if that equates to madness, so be it. LOL. Congratulations on getting your Micra, may you enjoy many years of spirited driving and cruising.
Cheers, Micragirl

CMF_Thomas_Scanlon

» CMF Member
Hello Shay. Nice to hear from you. What part of Ireland do you live in?

I'm living in Boyle. Co. Roscommon. I own a 1996 1.0L Micra.

The 1.3 Micra is a Rocket. Good car.

You can get Haynes Manual reasonably enough in Halfords Sligo. Alternatively a lot of Automotive factors stock them.

I've had an interesting history with my particular car, so if you have any probs drop a line.

Got some parts cheap if needed.

Happy motoring.

Back