Car has very little power, idles badly

I'm new around here but this seems to be the right place to be asking for help. I've currently got a 1.0s k11 micra, 2001 model (Y Reg), and have been having a few issues with it.
When I first got that car, it ran perfectly, but it wasn't until I got stuck in traffic for 30 minutes on a hot day that I realised that the radiator fan didn't work. So I have replaced that. However, after replacing it, I've found that when I start the engine warm (e.g. when I've just popped into the shop and leaving again) I have to pump the accelerator to get it going, and after it's started it idles high. I've had that issue for around a month now, and have been unable to find the cause.

Now, starting a few days ago on my way to work, I'm having issues all the time regarding power and throttle response, as well as idling. If my engine is cold when I turn it on, the revs are extremely low, and the car feels like it's going to stall. This is fixed by letting the engine warm up a bit, turning it off and on again, and it seems to sort itself out.

Regarding power, putting my accelerator down gives me no increase in revs, there's just absolutely zero power from the engine. Even when I'm parked, I have to put it down to the floor to get any sort of response. After setting off, it usually kicks in around 20mph, and begins to work. However last night on my way home from work, I tried to accelerate to overtake from 50mph, and got absolutely no response from the throttle.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated greatly!

Last edited:
how does it drive when the maf is disconnected scott ?

I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a go tomorrow with my uncle since he said he'll take a look and he actually knows what he's doing, unlike me who knew nothing about engines until the day I passed my test. I'd test it now but I don't know how to disconnect it.

I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a go tomorrow with my uncle since he said he'll take a look and he actually knows what he's doing, unlike me who knew nothing about engines until the day I passed my test. I'd test it now but I don't know how to disconnect it.
Under the airbox there will be a plug facing you, unclip and pull it out then take her for a spin

Under the airbox, left hand side if you're facing the engine from the front:)

It all sounds like it's over fuelling. Could be the 2 wire temp sensor next to the thermostat. That's the one that tells the ecu the temp. If its faulty it may think its cold and enrich all the time. The other one adjacent to it with 1 wire is the temp on your dash.

It all sounds like it's over fuelling. Could be the 2 wire temp sensor next to the thermostat. That's the one that tells the ecu the temp. If its faulty it may think its cold and enrich all the time. The other one adjacent to it with 1 wire is the temp on your dash.
I feel like this is getting closer. Could it be that my engine isn't enriching when it's cold? It runs perfectly when it's warm, when it's cold it just doesn't work.

An update on the cold side of things after a little test I've done. As I press the accelerator, the revs gain for the first little press, then drop off as the accelerator goes further down. I've got max power I can get at very low revs, so I'm short shifting loads, 1>2 at 5mph, 2>3 at 15mph, 3>4 at 20mph, 4>5 at 30mph. As soon as the engine heats up, the accelerator begins to sort itself out, and the revs rise as they should as I press the pedal. When the engine is cold, foot to the floor in fourth, the speed stays perfectly constant at 30mph.

Another thing I should mention, say I've been driving for 10 minutes, stop at the shop or w/e, and then get back in, although I need to pump the accelerator to get it going, it runs absolutely perfectly.

Back