Car Computer..

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,
Im Aiming to put in a media/car diagnositc center in my carin the near future, i would like to use either android or windows.
I have all the hardware to make this possible i just wondered if anyone knew any good apps or software to do this? and also any good software (free if possible) for the diagnostic side.

Thanks in advance :)

Doubt Android could do this, mobile designed OS which needs to run Android apps. Though you can check out Android x86 project.

If you want to stick to the free route check out a flavour of Linux.

Not entirely sure which software you would use :) Autodata comes to mind but that's Windoze...

Im just open for suggestions at the moment, i have an android tablet or can go down the linux or windows route :p im just intreaged to know what other people have used or think may work :)

why not write the software yourself? thats what i am doing with my car computer, its not that hard to learn a programming language and it can be very useful

why not write the software yourself? thats what i am doing with my car computer, its not that hard to learn a programming language and it can be very useful
Like if you ever get a chance to make your own stuff on a cnc machine :)

Hmm i would write it my self, but thats not really my side of IT, What i would quite like is an OBD2 software that has actualy Dials that can run on windows however i just cant find any at the moment.. any ideas?

if you give me a quite good idea of what you need the program to do and contain and work i know a man that could do it easily enough (my physics lecturer) and i doubt he would want payment i could ask if you want ??

That would be great :) Urm basically i want it to show gauges for the sensor data in the car, it would have to be able to link to an ELM Scan tool, and if possible, but not compulsery connect to the media stored on the laptop to, so basically an all in one entertainment system that will also show Live car data :) Does that make sense?

I think so i will run it passed him when i see it tomorrow he might not be interested but he is very good at it if he will do it (used to work for banks doing programming ) Will get back to you tomorrow about it

I do have a tablet yes, and i did think about that as it will be great for the media side of things however the car diagnostics and live data is the fun part.. i found a great app that works with a bluetooth dongle however there is quite a big lag, where as using a proper usb scan tool there is almost no lag at all, so thats why im now thinking windows or linux, i have got a Raspberry pie on the way which will hopfully work too, but the other idea is just a netbook and touch screen, ill probably be sticking to the windows route :)

Hmm i would write it my self, but thats not really my side of IT, What i would quite like is an OBD2 software that has actualy Dials that can run on windows however i just cant find any at the moment.. any ideas?

i am literally building some custom dials now, its just a screen with an embedded microprocessor which just reads all the sensors and puts the data on the screen. its not finished but its pretty simple stuff, it doesn't even use a computer

Hi Guys,
Im Aiming to put in a media/car diagnositc center in my carin the near future, i would like to use either android or windows.
I have all the hardware to make this possible i just wondered if anyone knew any good apps or software to do this? and also any good software (free if possible) for the diagnostic side.

Thanks in advance :)

When I made mine, I used linitx.com for most of the components. It ran Windows XP, had a touch screen for input + a wireless keyboard that fit in the glove box. Even had wireless and stuff. Quite easy to make :) I work in IT and even the sound of what Nex is doing sounds difficult (and time consuming!)

I also work in IT, i will have a look at the software you have just suggested, i found one last night called Touch Scan which looks fab I just havent really had a chance to plug it into the car and test it as yet, the idea is to have it connected to my netbook which can sit in the glove box then i have a 7 inch touch screen that can run off of that and display what i want :)

When I made mine, I used linitx.com for most of the components. It ran Windows XP, had a touch screen for input + a wireless keyboard that fit in the glove box. Even had wireless and stuff. Quite easy to make :) I work in IT and even the sound of what Nex is doing sounds difficult (and time consuming!)
time consuming but not so difficult, but thats the point of doing something you enjoy, it should take time ;)

I was speaking to my lecturer and we think its pretty simple he suggested getting a data logger and something else i've forgotten haha I wrote somethings down that i will edit in to this later because i cant see it right now but it was mainly we needed to know what things you wanted to measure umm but yeah I'll find what i jotted down later
we also found this for K12's is this sort of the thing you would want for K11's??

NeX its worth all of the time it takes so long as it is what you were aiming for in the end :)

Mike-F - Yes thats pretty much it, I just want to see the sensor data on some gauges, I downloaded software last night which im going to try out abit later which maybe what im looking for, I have a USB ScanTool that can read the data off of the ECU then the software just turns it into Dials that are readable by people :)

Im also going to look at mounting my screen later, I was planning to attach it with velcro as it will be strong and its easy enough to remove :)

NeX its worth all of the time it takes so long as it is what you were aiming for in the end :)

Mike-F - Yes thats pretty much it, I just want to see the sensor data on some gauges, I downloaded software last night which im going to try out abit later which maybe what im looking for, I have a USB ScanTool that can read the data off of the ECU then the software just turns it into Dials that are readable by people :)

Im also going to look at mounting my screen later, I was planning to attach it with velcro as it will be strong and its easy enough to remove :)

My screen had a mount which was screwed to the dash, which you could just remove the screen from in seconds. Velcro probably wouldn't do the job

I shall certianly give it a go :) The screen I have is very small and it would go up on top of the dash not on the face of it so it would be sitting down on the velcro so i think it would be fine :) have you got any pics of yours? im interested to see where other people have mounted there's :)

are you going to JAE? i could bring along a prototype, i had some real success today with the graphics, though programming the hex for 128 16X16 pixel squares is pretty mind numbing

Back