Car Clubs and Modifications

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
This is in no way meant to be a dig at anybody here, or anybody in general.

However, there's been an increase in threads asking, what people think if they did this, would they like it if they painted this that colour, what wheels should I get for my car, etc.

It's not only this but I see it on a few other forums too that I visit.

Why do people feel the need to ask about what to do with their car. The whole idea behind modifying is to make it your own, personalise it. It doesn't matter if people hate your steelies or your concorde wing, what matters is that you like it, and it's your own personal thing. Not done how other people like it.

Yeah, asking for help or advice doing things or looking for ideas is fair game, it's what the clubs are all about. I just feel there needs to be more cars that stand out, more people willing to do something new. Like Micra Man's K10 for example, Kristian's Wide Arch K11, elytaylor and Nismo K12's K12. I feel that all these cars stand out from the rest, not because of what's been done, but because they're different than every other car.

End of rant

having other peoples opinions can be essential sometimes i think, say someone was goin to get a front bumper for example and they thought it was a good idea, but then after asking a few peoples opinions and having them say it wont be a good idea then the person may actually decide that it isnt a good idea after all, if you have other peoples opinions and views can save you from making mistakes and it also means that you can have a good think about what you want.

Other peoples opinions can be good...sometimes. But certain things could be done yourself. I agree with what Alienfish was saying to some extent - that its your decision what you do, if you like it - do it. Sometimes, probably most times though, people mod there cars so other people will like them aswell, so ask for opinions.

I agree that have someones opnion on something can be a good idea sometimes but with my own car I don't care what other people think cos I like it and thats the most important thing as Alienfish360 says. Its maybe a confidence/security I think possibly for some people. if there not sure about something they'll feel more comfortable about donig something in particular if someone else tells them it a good idea. Its nice sometimes to know what people think about things, I don't see it as a bad thing.

sometimes when i ask for peoples opinions they point out bad points that i have missed or better ideas that would look better.

but i will always do what i think is best in the end but i like to have other people's points of view first...

for example, i love my k11 and i love the way it looks and from my point of view i can't see why other people don't like it... this is because its been on my mind for so long that its grown on me. same with the k12, at first i thought WHAT HAVE THEY DONE!! but then my mum bought one and now i love them... just takes a different point of view

I do agree with his point... theres a lot of posts on silly 'color' opinions...
.. With respect to cars with comprehensive body/performance/ice modifications..

theres seems to be quite a small number of recent..

its like wen women say "this top or this one" all they want to hear is "wow that looks great on you!"

thats what people look for wen they ask thhings like this...thats my view of it anyway

i know exactly wot my plans ae for my car i dont need to ask for anyones opinion,,all i ask for is advice on things that i dont know or dont understand

modifying your car is not always about being differet. with mine i just want to make it look tidy and make it drive awsome. i dont particularly want to make my car different. i just want to modify it for my own personal driving enjoyment.

I think that its sometimes worthwhile asking people on here for advice about what they should do to their cars (for example the best order in which to do engine, handling mods, etc) but I think the looks are a lot more of an individual thing.

I mean, I get the most satisfaction out of just deciding what I want to do myself, choosing the parts, painting them and fitting them myself. At the end of the day, only you can decide whats best for your vehicle, no matter what anyone else says.

For example, just before the mids meet I went out and spent just £8 on some black fabron sticky plastic stuff from Focus and decided I wanted to make a roof stripe. No questions asked, I just thought it would look good, so I went out and did it. Some people might think it looks like cheap crap, but I like it. And I've got a Micra that stands out a bit and thats all I care about really :)

My point being that I agree with Alienfish. Its cool to just get out there and do your own thing when it comes to how your car looks. If you like it then thats all thats important.

Alienfish360 said:
However, there's been an increase in threads asking, what people think if they did this, would they like it if they painted this that colour, what wheels should I get for my car, etc.

and most of the time it never gets done, thats my pet hate. so many ask, but dont do it. just do it people for christs sake!

the thing that pees me off a bit is when people come on and ask things like.

"just bought my micra im 17 and passed my test a few weeks ago, i want more power what do you think i should do
bike engine in the back?
2.0 transplant?
turbo or supercharger?"

its just like they expect us to get all excited about what theyre sayin and really believe its gonna happen. tbh i much prefer people who come on and ask decent questions like. "had my k11 for a while, ive done a search and was wondering whats the difference in having a panel filter or a cone one as im going to be getting one in the next couple of weeks"

i can actually believe things like this and dont mind answering queries such as these. because its sensible and shows that they actually want to do something as they have already read up on it.

Everybody occassionally needs a second opinion. Thats all it is most of the time, I agree with some of the above points but sometimes I think that people need the satisfaction of knowing something will work by hearing the views of others. Plus it gets people talking on here, which the majority of the time is good.

Back