can anyone shed some light on this??

S

sappy

Ok i was driveing along quite happily last night and due to the heavy rain there was quite a few puddles on the road.. well i drove throught his one puddle that was clearly a little to deep when my car cut out..:doh:

Now when i tried re-starting the car it was dead and i mean dead it would'nt turn over.. an hour later i tried again and to my joy the car sounded like it was trying to start but just would'nt fire up..

this morning it is much the same story, the car sounds like it wants to start but it just aint fireing up:down:

have i knackerd the engine???

sounds like youve sucked in water what filter setup have you got?? water is very bad as it doesnt compress like air iv seen cars injest tiny amounts of water that have bent conrods like they were made of marshmellow :(

if your lucky it mihgt have just blown the head gasget and its not firing due to Zero compressoin... worst case is new engine dude :(

champion.. so is there any chance it wont be the "worst case" and it maybe just needs a drying out?

do the usual:

take out the spark plugs and make sure you have a spark

check that the plugs are "wet" and there is a smell of fuel

check for the fuel pump "buzz"

check your air intake isn't blocked

check that the ECU isn't immobalising the car....

if it's all fine then i'd get the AA becuase it's gonna be a big problem probably...

Let us know how you get on :)

sketch said:
Have you tried the fuse trick etc.
This is a slightly different kind of engine flooding... but if the electrics were flooded so that the ignition cut out but left the fuel system running it might've flooded it that way; not likely but worth a shot.

If it's ingested water then could a p### wet through air filter obstruct the intake enough so that it won't start? Could somet' have shorted out in the electrics and blown some fuses?

squigbobble said:
If it's ingested water then could a p### wet through air filter obstruct the intake enough so that it won't start? Could somet' have shorted out in the electrics and blown some fuses?

Yea - i see what your menaing here. If you have blown a fuse, got into the engine bay and check all the fuses in front of the battery. These are the main ones. Is your fuel pump still coming on when you put the key in? I.e, is it still getting the orange light on it and clicking?

:kungfu:

thanks for all the ideas ill give it all a good check over tonight after work.. the car sounds like its wanting to start but as i said it just wont fire up(bit like a cold morning start up)

keep you all posted

Hmm - that could be an Immobiliser prob. Let me know, i'm becoming quite the expert at those ones! :laugh:!!

well so far this is what ive checked and the results are'nt good:down:
fuel pump-fully working order
fuses-all seem to be fine
spark plug gaps-set at 1mm as my log book suggests
distributer cap-bone dry and seems fine
ignition leads-nothing there either
throttle body-no sign of any water and cone filter's dry
cylinders had a fair bit of petrol in them but this could be down to me turning the engine over..

still none the wiser as to whats happend so i disconnected the battery and put it on charge ready for another poke about tonight:sick:

if anyone has any more idea's please feel free to help..

check that you actually have a spark at the spark plugs if you havent already, no point checking anything else untill your sure there is a spark.
no spark.... no boom...

have you tried the old pulling out of the fuel pump fuse just in case? Pull out the fuse from the dash. Try and turn it over for 10 seconds or so.. Give it a few short blasts of 10. Then see if it sounds better.. If it starts put the fuse back in and hold the throttle down, about 6 or 7% os its baring being pressed and try to start it again, that used to work for me.

Ian

no it never splutter it just cut out.. i know the fuel pump is definetly working.
so im gona see if the spark plugs are ok...trouble is the plugs are brand new and were only put in on monday

Wiil it bump start? I.e put the jey in the dash so all lights are on, Start to puch is, put it into second and see if it will start?

also (check this at night) look at each plug wile it in the engine with the ht leads attached, get someone to turn it over, if water has gone up the ht lead it will be earthing out through the rubber coating (it will always take the easy rout), you will see it, happened to me too, took me ages to figure it out.

do you have aa or rac cover with homestart or something similar? if it were me and i couldnt find the problem i would just call out the AA and they would come out and start it for me or if not then tow it to the garage. also i dont think you have stated yet weather you have checked for a spark at the plugs? remove one of the plugs and hold it (with some pliers) against the engine somewhere on a piece of metal and see if it is sparking when a friend or someone turns the car over, it is important we know if there is any spark before we try and work out whats wrong.
cheers,
Owen

Well sadly after checking every thing over and over again its starting to look like the conrods are bent.. my local mechanic is coming round to pick the car up today so it looks like what i thought to be a cheap bit of motoring is gona cost an arm and a leg:sick:

Are all micra 1.3 engines the same or have a to look for a the same SI engine that is in the car now??

as far as im aware they all used the cg13de so they should all be the same.
Owen

edit: this morning my micra wouldnt start either, it was wanting to start but gust wouldnt catch, i hooked it up to the big charger and just cranked it over for about half an hour giving it a bit of a rest every now and then and eventually it started, but i think that my problems were just because it was very cold here last night and it was damp.

sappy said:
Well sadly after checking every thing over and over again its starting to look like the conrods are bent..
:wow: If that's so then it must have ingested water, I can't see how else that could've happened. It would also rather harshly shed light on why the stock air intake is positioned where it is- out of the way of any spray from the wheels and unlikely to be reached by water sloshing around the bottom of the engine bay if u wade though a flooded road.

Like DoomPixie said, all 1.3 Micras used the same cg13de engine in (I'm pretty sure but not 100%) the same tune.

All the engines are the ame except for the auto blocks which are siad to be slightly stronger

gave the car another good check on friday turned the key and it fired up first time.. ran a bit rough for 10mins but now its running perfectly:grinning:

just like to say thanks to all the folk who gave their assistance and thanks for the offer of the engine lippy:grinning:

had chance to take the car for its first proper run out since buying it and my god the handling on this thing is great just needs a little more power

Back