can anybody help?? (saxo)

im not familiar with this engine or hydrolic lifters really, btu if i was assuming that most of teh principles are the same as on a regular 8 valve n/a engine then...in my twisted opinion:

it is likely that any engine will have two tappets with play and two that wont budge by hand (depending on where the engine has stopped at. (the two 'slack' ones have their valves fully closed anfd the two that woond budge have the tappets pressed tightly against them since the valves will be partially open...may be one is opening and one is closing...so i wouldnt be suspicious of that at teh mo....

the noise in video 1 sounds to me like something is bumping against the rocker cover...try tapping the rocker cover with a blunt non metallic something or other and listen to teh 'timbre' of the sound and see if it is the same or very similar....I wonder if the cover has a very squashed oil seal and is fastened too far down as a result.....may be one of the tappet adjuster screws has worked very loose and is touching the cover??

just some thoughts

EDIT: (we all posted at the same time....lol) you might get sprayed with oil with the rocker cover offf.....hold the cover with two open hands and grip tightly...can you feel the knocking and does the sound dampen? maybe lift it SLIGHTLY and see if the knocking reduces...BE CAREFULL WITH YOUR FINGERS

i didnt start it with it off, i was going to aswell...the oil everywhere is because there was a slight leak and my mate tightened the rocker bolt which snapped and made it look worse, i dont have a clue what it is

im not familiar with this engine or hydrolic lifters really, btu if i was assuming that most of teh principles are the same as on a regular 8 valve n/a engine then...in my twisted opinion:

it is likely that any engine will have two tappets with play and two that wont budge by hand (depending on where the engine has stopped at. (the two 'slack' ones have their valves fully closed anfd the two that woond budge have the tappets pressed tightly against them since the valves will be partially open...may be one is opening and one is closing...so i wouldnt be suspicious of that at teh mo....

the noise in video 1 sounds to me like something is bumping against the rocker cover...try tapping the rocker cover with a blunt non metallic something or other and listen to teh 'timbre' of the sound and see if it is the same or very similar....I wonder if the cover has a very squashed oil seal and is fastened too far down as a result.....may be one of the tappet adjuster screws has worked very loose and is touching the cover??

just some thoughts

EDIT: (we all posted at the same time....lol) you might get sprayed with oil with the rocker cover offf.....hold the cover with two open hands and grip tightly...can you feel the knocking and does the sound dampen? maybe lift it SLIGHTLY and see if the knocking reduces...BE CAREFULL WITH YOUR FINGERS

yeh i understand why 2 are loose and 2 are tight now, it maybe the rocker cover as its a stupid design...has a 1 bolt at each end and thats it! then when you take it off there is a loose metal plate inside with 2 spacers for the plate, ill check tomorrow sometime and try some of the suggestions thanks

yer, but it sounds like it, my mates old corsa sounded like that and thats what it was did it have regular oil changes and stuff?

i didnt start it with it off, i was going to aswell...the oil everywhere is because there was a slight leak and my mate tightened the rocker bolt which snapped and made it look worse.

the rocker cover bolts should not be too tight, certianly not tight enough to shear the bolt!.

change the spark plugs, my vtr was a right ####### for this, and the metal plate under the rocker cover is just a splash guard thing, i took mines out ( still have it ) and by the sounds of it the tappets are well off lol

Back