cams again. HELP!

M

mr.grassie

Ok, this ones about cams.

Different people tell me different things about them, where I should get them, and what they should do.

at the moment I have a cg13de running a Garrett t2 @ 14psi, with an 8/1 compression ratio using a 2mm spacer plate.

I’m chucking out 171bhp, and want to know what gains I might expect to get through a set of cams.

Iv been in touch with my local precision engineers, and they reckon that getting the standard one reprofiled would do the job nicely, and I could get big power gains out of this.

Piper think I should stick in a fast road set for a set for a normally aspirated engine, any they reckon between 15-25bhp is not unreasonable.

Kent said that they don’t do micra cams from new, but they could reprofile my existing ones, but I would need the head re-shim’d. but they could reprofile them so that they would best suit a turbo application, and not a normally aspirated.

I know there are a couple of overseas companies that can do them, but the cost is high. And there not specifically for turbo use either.

What do I do? Should I go with Kent and get them specially made for a turbo? Or do I go with someone else?

All advice welcome.

I would go with the Kent Cams Re-profile.
If they are saying that they can possibly give out the most power, then go for it. My mate had the Kent ones in his 106 Rallye and it made a huge diffrence. His car was quick as it was, but as soon as he got them it was super fast. So in my view - go for the Kent ones

Titch :kungfu:

Kent, if they are doing them specifically for a turbo set-up then they will work best with yours, get lift+duration figures of all the different companies and then compare them/post em up

i cant see how re-profiled cam can be better than a new set,,they cant lift any higher

can someone explain?

Iv just been on the phone to the precision engineer boys, and they said that my cams cut to suit a turbo, might be a really bad idea if i plan on keeping the car on the road.

reason being is that i would get bugger all power (well almost) up to about 4000 rpm, then BANG all at once right up to the limiter (similar to race cams). great if im going for ultimate bhp, but i need driveability for the road, and reliability to a certain extent.

They rekoned that if i went for a fast road, or one of those ultimate fast road jobs, i wouldnt get as much power up top as the other one, but a lot more low-midrange power, with a little at the top.

most things about engines, turbos, charge tempratures, etc im great with, but cams confuse the hell out of me.

idealy what i want is more midrange, and top end power for 1/4 mile dash.

also wouldnt mind boosting up my bhp figure.

what should i be asking /looking for?

*dont say a miracle*

mr.grassie said:
idealy what i want is more midrange, and top end power for 1/4 mile dash.

also wouldnt mind boosting up my bhp figure.

ask for that :D and look on the net ,that my advice

maybe you should look into a proper manifold mate. If you get better gas flow, your turbo would spool up faster. So that would deliver the power lower down. Maybe its worth forking out for an HKS? Or maybe even save up for a custom jobbie?

Ian said:
maybe you should look into a proper manifold mate. If you get better gas flow, your turbo would spool up faster. So that would deliver the power lower down. Maybe its worth forking out for an HKS? Or maybe even save up for a custom jobbie?

thats a good point ther

why dont you improve other things first,and then go far cams later if your stil not happy

RIK said:
i cant see how re-profiled cam can be better than a new set,,they cant lift any higher

can someone explain?

Repfolis can have higher lift + duration by machinig away the circular part, this is why you need shims as they are just in effect closer to the tappets to start off with.
Can you get figures from all of the companies that you have been talking too?

Go with the kent or piper cams. Pick who ever of those two you feel is most knowledgeable. Regarless of what anyone else says kent and piper will know best. After all its all they do.

Back