cam cover bolts???

Antony

Ex. Club Member
hi guys, what size are the bolts that hold the cam cover onto the head? as im after some stainless cap head bolts to replace the mangled steel crappy ones i have at the mo...

thank you :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

just take one to any good motor factors even halfords can get that right they will match it up for you....easier as you have to go there to buy them anyway.

Antony, bear in mind that although stainless is harder than mild steel, it is also more brittle, making it easier to snap under pressure, make sure to copper grease them when you fit them.

yeah, true, i wont be tightening them up for a while.. no engine to put them on..lol

i have worked for halfords for 6 years in november, and believe me, we cannot get these bolts..
we just dont have the facilities to stock any bolts or nuts at all...

I am going to B&Q to get a set next week - I'll post up the onese you need if I remember to go :)
Craig

cheers craig...

pm me matey, i may need that surprise pretty quickly..lol, (my engines gone pop for the second time in a month..lol)

Right, can't get my phone to work - if you have the haynes manual then it will make more sense.
The standard bolt is 6mmx30mm, dunno about thread type, but the 6mm bolts from B&Q are the correct pitch. You need some 6mm washers and 3 6mmx20mm and 7 6mmx30mm bolts.
The three shorter ones go into holes 5, 8 and 10 - if you wanted to, you could cut some of the 40mm ones down to 30mm in length, but you *should* be alright with the 20mm ones if you do not use a washer.
Also, for hole number 7, you will need possibly an extra washer as the bolt bottoms out on the casting of the block.
he heads are 10mm and there IS room to get a slim socet onto it, although bolt 7 is slightly hampered by an oil pipe.
Craig

Ok, my phone has stopped being stupid, so here's the pic:
Camcoverbolts.jpg

Allen Head Bolts...

...make a nice job of it. Size 6X1.0 and 25mm long worked for me and I got them from a proper motor factors. All of the old screws were just over 25mm in length but Craig might be right about different lengths. Best check against the old ones.

s

Attachments

• IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 175
Yeah, it was annoying that B&Q don't do 25-30mm ones - they'd be perfect as the ones that I have come out of the bottom a bit, no problems though.

Back