Cam chain rattle

W

Wil

Seems to rattle when sat at certain revs. Is there a quick fix to this and easy to sort out myself?

Not easy to sort yourself, or cheap to get done, you sure it is the cam chain, how many miles the engine done?

Craig said:
Not easy to sort yourself, or cheap to get done, you sure it is the cam chain, how many miles the engine done?

38k miles.
Stuck my head down the camchain area and its definately coming from there.
So what am I looking at in terms of cost (labour + parts)?

There is no way a cam chain should be broken on an engine with only 38k on it. Unless you have abused it seriously or not changed the oil ever.

are you sure its the chain, and not a resonation from somewhere in the bay if its only happening at certain revs?

Full service history when I bought it and only just changed the oil myself. Bit gutted the chain going already. I will probably leave it if gonna cost £400.

what oil grade are you using??

if you are using the wrong grade oil it can sometimes cause the chain to be noisy..

oh and if it is a fubared chain - i would just not leave it... if it snaps its almost certain new engine time...

first of all get the oil changed, 20k is WAAAAY to much to run on 1 oil swap... i bet the oil was blacker than black.. i change my oil every 3-5k - engines with chain driven cams LOVE fresh oil all the time... it also helps keep the oil cleaner overall by changing it often. Also if you thrash your engine all the time, oil becomes old very quick...

if its not been done for a while i would say do an oil flush... DO NOT USE FLUSHING AGENTS - they can cause problems unless its been used from day 1

get some cheap oil, drop old oil and fill up with cheap oil... give the car a good drive for around 100-200 miles

drop the oil again, replace filter, refill using good oil

SplanK said:
what oil grade are you using??

if you are using the wrong grade oil it can sometimes cause the chain to be noisy..

oh and if it is a fubared chain - i would just not leave it... if it snaps its almost certain new engine time...

first of all get the oil changed, 20k is WAAAAY to much to run on 1 oil swap... i bet the oil was blacker than black.. i change my oil every 3-5k - engines with chain driven cams LOVE fresh oil all the time... it also helps keep the oil cleaner overall by changing it often. Also if you thrash your engine all the time, oil becomes old very quick...

if its not been done for a while i would say do an oil flush... DO NOT USE FLUSHING AGENTS - they can cause problems unless its been used from day 1

get some cheap oil, drop old oil and fill up with cheap oil... give the car a good drive for around 100-200 miles

drop the oil again, replace filter, refill using good oil

You no lads I thought this would be a good forum to join but honestly the crap you lot talk, I have to say something.

Firstly most K11`s chains rattle, there are 2 timing chains on the CG engines, to diagnose a rattle generally speaking if the chain rattles from cold but only cold ie when engine at normal op temp then change the top (secondary) chain and tensioner. If the rattle is consistent even when warm then change the primary and secondary chains and tensioners, also you may want to inspect the guides for wear change them also if they are worn.

I have repaired lots of K11`s over the 10 years Ive been a Nissan Tech and not one of them has bent any valves, that I can recall. The CG engines are a safeish engine and the valves rarely contact the piston crowns in the event of a chain failure,

The service intervals for Petrol engined Nissan vehicles is 9,000 Miles or 12 months not 10,000 miles.

Why does oil become old if you thrash an engine? I use Millers Motorsport oils in my Pulsar and I cane its arse daily I still change at 6,000 mile intervals.

Lastly please if you dotn have the answer stop trying to big yourself up by saying what you think is the correct answer because as you can see there are people out in Nissan land who know the real facts and youll only end up looking like a #### when your blatatly wrong.

No offence intended but it winds me up to hear absolute rubbish so much, it seems every forum I use lately is full of DIY wannabe mechanics.

You lot are gonna take the #### of me now, 'cos I found the problem today and it was'nt the camchain...doh :doh:

Looked under the car and found the exhaust heat shield hanging loose, so went to Halfords for a jubilee clip and clamped it all back up, and no more rattle!

Thanks for all your advice dudes :)

gartracs2 said:
Lastly please if you dotn have the answer stop trying to big yourself up by saying what you think is the correct answer because as you can see there are people out in Nissan land who know the real facts and youll only end up looking like a #### when your blatatly wrong.

The number of times I have wanted to say that, but I would never get away with it...

gartracs2 said:
I have repaired lots of K11`s over the 10 years Ive been a Nissan Tech and not one of them has bent any valves, that I can recall. The CG engines are a safeish engine and the valves rarely contact the piston crowns in the event of a chain failure,
Does that mean they're a non-interference design or kind of only just an interference design?

I would nt know Im not really into CG engines although theyre a great little engine, The secondary chain has nearly always been the one that let go, I put a chain on first and run the engine after timing up, after all the damage (if any) will already have been done so why not run it? saves taking head off and saves customer a packet. They seem to have chain rattling problems even with low mileage and full service history, Id rather use the GA engine it doesnt seem prone to chain problems much of the time, that said I have come across a few over the years but not nearly as much as the chains I have replaced on the K11`s.

Back