Timing chain rattle on start up..????

Hi guy`s,I own a genuine 23,000 miles k11.And,When I start the car up after being stood overnight I get ametalic rattle that sounds like the timing chain till the oil light goes out...This also happens when I switch the car off for say 10-15 mins and I start the engine back up......When the engine is running it`s quiet and there is no vibrations at all through the rev`s.....Do the k11`s suffer with chain problems at such a low milage please..??The car is a 1.0ltr and has just had an oil change & Filter within the last couple of months....On listening to the timing chain cover with the old wooden stethoscope it does sound rather chattery..?

OP
OP
K
Thank you for the reply Pollp.
...I have spoken to an engine reconning spot that does rally cars and races all sorts of cars infact thay have over 30 engine`s in getting reconned at this minute..And mentioned the situation to him..He said I deffo have a chain issue mainly due to the old man not revving the car to put a splash lubricant on the chain with him driving it really steady (It wouldn't rev when I first got the car because the old man had only driven the car slow and at low rev`s all it`s life)...Plus,Becouse I only use the car perhaps once in two weeks during the winter period I have fitted a switch so I can turn off the fuel pump before I turn off the engine in the garage-This drains the fuel system and allow`s me to crank over the engine till the oil light goes out at the next start...I noticed the oil light didn't go out till the last revolution of the engine whilst it was running slow because of the fuel been switched off approx.less than 400 rpm`s..Which in itself shows me the oil pressure is excellent..The engine remanufacturer said because the engine hadn't been revved by the previous owner it had lessened the lubrication to the chain (Splash lube)and made the problem worse.....So,It looks like a new chain and sprockets needed.....

wehey

Ex. Club Member
I disagree. The chain will be fine at this low mileage. Because you are only driving a couple of times a week it's taking a while for the oil pressure to increase the tension in the tensioner.
As long as it doesn't rattle when all the time then you don't have a problem.

Got my 1.3 about 7 years ago with 39k on it and it rattled when first started.
If you put fresh oil in it makes it a little better on startup so as soon as i hear it begin to rattle a little i know its time for an oil change.
Goes quiet when driven but can sometimes still chugg chug chugg on tickover.
Now on 103k with no issues.... ;)