Cam belt change

Hey guys,

Who here has changed the cam/timing belt on their K10 in the past?
How did they find the whole operation?

I am only really a learner DIY mechanic but can do all the basic stuff. I've been through the Haynes a few times to familiarise myself with the procedure but are there any better, more thorough guides or tips out there?

Also, what new bits and bobs will I need and is it wise to change the fuel pump too?

Cheers,

H

by fuel pump, i assume your refering to the water pump?

new parts i replaced,
1 waterpump,
2 tensioner
3 belt.

quite an easy job, the hardest part is removing the bottom pulley, but that has been covered loads of times already, just do a search.

personally i found that after the bottom crank pulley was removed it was quite an easy job.

if i were buying a belt i would deff not go to halfrauds, but go to your local motor factors, failing that buy the one off of ebay.

I've done it, not too bad job at all. If I can do it, anyone can :)

I have an early micra belt in the garage, I bought it in error- mine is a '91 and it uses a longer belt.

If you like I can get the part number off it, its a brand new in box blueprint item.

cool, i'd love it.
My car is an 86 Colette so requires a pre-facelift belt.

How do i check the part numbers to make sure its the right belt for my car?

Well the ones i've seen on ebay from various manufacturers list an '83-'89 belt and an '89-'91 belt, so I can only assume there are 2 different types.

maybe someone else could verify this?

if you put your email address on this thread I will dig out the belt and email you about it. I would put mine down but its a business one and i'll get shot if it starts to get spammed :) Don't want much for it by the way- and i've used ADL Blueprint parts on all our cars, very good quality.

lovely stuff. the contact you want is harryfox [AT} gmail [DOTCOM}

Also, I'd really appreciate some help on doing the job for when I get round to do it, so prepare to be quizzed....

H

Back