Buzzing light fault

Hi everyone.

My nan's got a J reg Micra 1.2, and it's developed a fault whereby when you turn the dipped beam lights on, you hear a loud buzzing from under the bonnet (could be behind dash too, not sure) and only one headlight is on.

Also, IIRC, changing to high beam does the same thing, or at least isn't working properly.

Bulbs are fine to the best of knowledge and were changed&working before the fault started.

A problem with a relay somewhere?

Or I also thought perhaps a problem with the affected headlight unit?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Matt

Under the dash by the fuse box there is a little black relay, feel that to see if its buzzing when it makes the noise, if it is pull it out, the lights will go off and the buzzing will stop, then go and buy a new relay!

Changed a few in my time, give it a try

It's only supposed to buzz when the ignition is off and one of the doors is open. So the light circiut and the interior light circuit are to be checked for trapped/dammaged wiring too.
For the moment, stick your head up behind the right-hand side (drivers side) of the dashboard, look a few inches above the bonnet release handle and you will see the buzzer. It's a little black box bolted to the body, it has two wires and is connected to the wiring loom with a little blue plug (connenctor). Just unplug it and it will no longer buzz, that should at least stop it from driving you crazy untill you find the actual fault.
Check each of the fuses in the fuse box too, the one headlight comming on is also a side effect of a headlight fuse being loose or blown. (Y)

seriously, check what i said mine was buzzing with the sidelights on with the door shut also the headlight warning light came on on the dash. the way i got it to stop before i replaced the part was just gave it a little wiggle it would be ok for a few days then come loose again.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Just to clarify, it's not the open door warning buzzer that's making the noise.

I thought it might be something to do with a lighting relay. So I'll have a look at what you've suggested next time I see the car.

Matt

I sorted it, the side light wasn't working because it wasn't getting a clean contact with the plug, and the other headlight just has a dodgy connector on the back.

Probably going to change the side light bulbs for LED's for longer life, and brightness. Any suggestions?

i thought it would be a connection problem as mine was making the exact same noise like it was short circuiting. not sure about changing side lights etc alot of people use blue for brightness etc but i think its technically illegal.

Back