bump strips

ive been told they are just held on by glue. anyone know if this is true? and if so i was goin to heat the glue up with water then using dental floss take the stripe off then use tar remover and hot warer to remove the rest of the glue. will that be ok? cheers

if you were offical you could see my really good guide ;)

:quote:
The NeX guide to removing your bump strips

First of all you will need the following tools:

1. A can of petrol
2. An ice scraper
3. A pointy screwdriver
4. An old Rag
5. About two hours of free time

First of all take the pointy screwdriver and use it to remove the bump strips. To do this you will have to place your hand next to the end of the bump strip, lay the pointy screwdriver across your hand with the pointy bit just under the edge of the strip.

Then using your hand to protect the paint, lever the strip away from the bodywork of the car. Once you have the edge away from the car you can get your hand between the strip and the car and pull it away. When I removed mine I found that the strip broke which meant no going back! If it breaks simply repeat the pointy screwdriver technique at the point where the strip broke off.

Once you have all the plastic off you will notice you no have two very annoying strips of gluey foam stuff down the side of the car. To remove this you take the cloth and soak it in petrol. Be careful because petrol isn’t fun to play with. Take the cloth and use it to soak the foam strips with petrol. It doesn’t matter too much if the petrol gets on the paintwork because from my experience it doesn’t damage the paint but it’s probably a good idea to keep the paintwork as free of petrol as possible. You will probably want to give the side of the car a quick clean because you are about to start scraping the side and little bits of grit can cause scratches. Give the foam glue stuff a few seconds to absorb the petrol then using the ice scraper, scrape the side of the car. You will find that the petrol soaked layer of the glue should peel off leaving more foam. What happens is the foam that is soaked in petrol peels away nicely but leaves the foam that wasn’t soaked in petrol. So simply repeat the process until all traces of the strip are removed.

You may find that the paint looks a little faded or looks cleaner where the strips where. I used T-cut to even the colour then water to clean the whole side of the car and then finally a nice wax finish.

Other things you may notice, the doors now sound a bit tinny when you put the key in the lock, this is because the sides of the door are no longer reinforced with the plastic. This is nothing to worry about. Also if you are worried about your doors being unprotected from people opening their car doors then don’t worry because if you look at the shape of most car doors you will see that they’d miss the strips anyway making the strips pointless excess weight.

Have fun, take your time and don’t blame me if it goes wrong!
:/Quote:

Well ive just finished the drivers side and it took me 2 and a half hours.

The key is: soak it in petrol, scrape a bit off, soak in some more, scrape a bit more....and so on.

Its a long job, but it is well worth it, i'll post some pics when its done.

Back