Brake shoes

Hi, I've a '98 March with ABS Brakes and would like to know if all shoes are the same or is there a different set for cars with ABS? I can't get an answer after Googling so I rang my local Nissan garage and they asked for my chassis number and said it'd cost €70 just for a set of shoes, but he couldn't tell me if they were different to a K11 without abs. Obviously I want to avoid paying that much for shoes!

Thanks!

Hi, I've a '98 March with ABS Brakes and would like to know if all shoes are the same or is there a different set for cars with ABS? I can't get an answer after Googling so I rang my local Nissan garage and they asked for my chassis number and said it'd cost €70 just for a set of shoes, but he couldn't tell me if they were different to a K11 without abs. Obviously I want to avoid paying that much for shoes!

Thanks!

Doesn't k11 with ABS have disc all round?

I noticed the march brake calipers and pads are very different to UK k11

Nope, mine has drums on the rear. The front pads are different but I got a set (same as a sunny) but can't see anywhere if the shoes are different.

Balls! Looks like I have to take the hit so. Frustrating when ordinary shoes are around €25 to €30 and I'll have to pay €70!

No, thats my problem, and why I asked here in case someone else could point me in another direction. Google isn't helping either! I might try a dealer in Northern Ireland or England as I'm in Ireland and see if that helps. My wife is from Lincolnshire so could get a set to the In-Laws but we'll not be going to England until May.

Might take a trip to the local motor factors then and explain the situation and see if they'll take the set back if the shoes are wrong.

I wouldnt have thaught they are different. If u want at the weekend I can pull a drum off the bol' and my ukdm k11 to compare them.
I gotta overhaul the ukdm drums anyway.

Andy

i thought the k11 rear setup for abs was like the early almeras and similar, basically a small drum inside a disk, drum for handbrake disk for abs

I found these pictures last night, forgotten I'd taken them when I adjusted the shoes in March last year.

2012-03-31-099_zpsee4bfe21.jpg

The drum itself with the ABS setup on it

2012-03-31-106_zps2d4edb7c.jpg

that March ABS drum setup seems to be completely different to a non-ABS UK drum brake like on my 1993 SLX.

29701888.jpg

guess you'll need to order shoes that are specific to the import march brakes.

wonder why nissan altered so much of the mechanicals between the japan March and the UK Micra, even though the shape n chassis is kinda the same?
wasn't the micra/march all assembled in nissan sunderlands plant then exported worldwide?
or was the March actually assembled somewhere else like japan and hence different suppliers, standards n parts?

I had my NCT test (Our equivalent of your MOT) on Saturday so took the drums off and adjusted the shoes a few clicks each side along with giving the drums and shoes a light sanding in the morning. The shoes are the originals so I was fearful it would fail on them as there is only about 6mm left, but what I did seemed to help as the car passed so it gives me more time to get shoes but I do want to replace them soon anyways.

normally u shouldn't need to manually adjust the drums self-adjuster mech cos it's um self-adjusting, but the threads do become clogged n seized with brake dust over time.

whenever a drum brake is serviced, you should always:

take out the self-adjuster,
unscrew the ratchet cog off the shaft,
clean dirt/grit off every part with brake/carb cleaner then retap & die the threaded shaft and ratchet cog to make sure they screw in/out smoothly,
suggest avoid copper grease on the threads cos it'll only attract brake dust n clog up again so I used graphite powder instead,
screw the ratchet cog all the way into the threaded shaft so its as short as possible,
reassemble brakes,
retighten the handbrake cable end nut till there's no free-slack before the 1st click,
then apply the handbrake several times to ratchet the self-adjuster (in a quiet garage you'll be able to hear it click to the next cog after each pull)
keep pulling until the clicking stops, now the adjuster is set so it's 1-ratchet click away from the shoes touching the drums.

Thanks for that info. I don't normally adjust them but as the about of the pads on the shoes is not much and I wanted the car to pass I adjusted them to give more "bite" in the test! :)

For dome reason I can't edit my post above. I need to proof read more! What I meant to say was the amount of brake pad on the shoes is minimal!

Back