Brake pads

M

m1ck97

My micras brake pads are pretty low atm. I'm looking at getting some new ones, is it worth spending £50 to get them replaced at a garage, or is it much cheaper to do them myself? How easy is it just just simply change the pads?

Defo an easy self do thing, check out my site in the sig below, but this is defo covered in the Haynes manual which is the best thing you'll ever buy for your Micra

You can change them just outside your house,for less than an hour.I purchased ferodos premier for 30euros and they are soft.Don't forget to open the brake fluid cap before you bolt off the calipers.If your disks are used you have to file the edges of the pads in order to fit better.Finally don't forget to recap the brake reservoir and continusly pump the brake pedal until it gets stiff enough.

You can replace them for alot less than £50

However it depends.

If you got for ferodo pads they cost me £14+VAT but black diamonds or EBC's would set you back about £35+VAT. will you be doing daft racing stunts like a chav or driving like a normal person?

Normal person i'd go with either Lucas or Ferodo - i've used both and had no problems. I've also got mintex on atm but they were on the car when i bought it so don't know how much they cost. I've found them ok but heavy on the dust so your alloys with get black (or brown) very quickly.

haha well brakes are easy WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.

when i was braking there was nothing happening, i could press my brake pedal as far down as mu clutch so was pretty low eh?

i didn have a clue so went to my uncles garage best thing i ever did, coz if your car is an oldy like mine k-plate k11 you might have trouble, i sure did.anyway found both discs to be in good condition, 1 side brake pad were really thin maybe 2mm other side was slanted ie 1 side was thick and other was thin ranging from 10mm down to maye 3mm. ill post pics of it soon but look at the condition of the calipers coz if there old best take to garage in my opinion !

you will see why, next when i edit this post soon -haha

EDIT

13-18032006164.jpg

17-18032006166.jpg

26-18032006162.jpg

as you see what in was sayin, if its old you may jus find your slider has seized and when you goto unseize it, it will jus snap off!!

so then once that was done i was off to the scrappies n jus got 2, so i got a spare passenger side one if u may need it-lol

so from wat i analysed i was only using 1 brake for stopping and my clutch too-lol

:D

ps good luck with your brake swap

Back