Brake drums: What's the bloomin' secret then?

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Following advisories at my recent MOT, I bought a set of shoes from Nissan and ordered a 30mm socket from the bay to get the drum off.

I've just been out and removed the wheel, the hub cap thingy and the 30mm nut (which had me standing up pulling on a breaker bar :wow:). The drum then waggled a bit and was definitely loose, I could actually see the inner and outer races of the bearing moving alot relative to eack other :eek:.

The drum wouldn't budge... I suspect it's the inner race being a tight fit on the spindle. Is there some kind of special puller tool I need?

The other weird thing is that when the wheel was back on and torqued up, there was no play in the wheel...

Yours, Puzzled of Merseyside :).

the bearing will be a snug fit on the stub guy, you usually need to wedge a screwdriver down one side of the drum and hit the other side, and work around it
if the drum wont turn while its coming off, there may be a step worn into the drum :eek:
and if they,re tapered bearings, you have to set the running clearance with the tightness of the nut eh

Cheers Frank, I'll have another look and report any progress :).

Lol - no. The drum spins and wobbles a bit (bearings shot I reckon). It's the inner bearing race where it fits over the hub spindle is tight :). I've since remembered my neighbour's husband has a four arm puller that may work.

are k12 drums not like k10 and k11 ones then? cos you dont need to undo the big nut to get the drum off usually.

Back