Brake callipers

Hi all,

Right, 3 weeks ago, I brought brand new brembo Brake discs and brembo brake pads for the front of my Micra K11, 1.3 16v, its a 1999 plate fyi. Today I heard scratching, like metal on metal, so i checked the brakes and there the problem, the brake pads have completely worn to the back plate!

Can someone please point me in the direction of what the issue is? When changing the pads today the piston inside the calliper was extremely hard to push back, harder than it should have been. And yes I did take the cap off the Brake fluid resivoir.

TiA

I had a head melter last year with the same symptoms.. the flexies needed replaced in my case as they were perfect on the outside but dozed on the inside, allowing fluid into the caliper but not letting it back out.wouldn't hurt to do your four flexies if you can as they start to degrade after three years.I replaced my four last month and the brake readings on the mot raised the examiners eyebrows!! a massive improvement on last years readings :)

I had a head melter last year with the same symptoms.. the flexies needed replaced in my case as they were perfect on the outside but dozed on the inside, allowing fluid into the caliper but not letting it back out.wouldn't hurt to do your four flexies if you can as they start to degrade after three years.I replaced my four last month and the brake readings on the mot raised the examiners eyebrows!! a massive improvement on last years readings :)
I had exactly the same thing. Replaced them with stainless braided, just for fun.

The problem appeared and became really bad on a road trip to France. We had a good 100 metres clear behind us on all the motorways as the burning stank so bad. We could barely breathe when we had to slow down and the fumes caught up with us. 130kph for 5 hours at a time with binding brakes tends to do that, I guess

Changed the hoses, stuck in some new pads and disks (old ones badly warped by the heat, sounded like a helicopter by the time we got back to the UK), recon'd the calipers with new seals just in case, flushed the fluid and all was well again.

Back