Bonnet Struts/Dampers

Ok, this might sound like a silly question, but has anyone ever tried getting bonnet struts to work on their car, One of my mates with a fiesta ST has recently put some on his and I really like the idea of them.

If anyone has or knows of anywhere that sells them (longshot I know) let me know :)

Push comes to shove I will manufacture some of my own and hope for the best :p

Or I can tell you ;) or try :p
Compress the strut fully and take a measurement hole centre to hole centre. Same again but fully extended.. cant remember why but I did coz I know it makes a difference what length they are.
Most important thing is to mount the rod on the bonnet and the strut on the body. On a k10 the rods face the rear and the struts are nearer the front

Open the bonnet to maximum without stressing the hinges. Test fit the strut and mark where both holes are with a: the strut as far up the body as possible and b: the rod as far up the bonnet as possible. But never exceed 0/90 degrees. Either straight up or laid flat
Close the bonnet and look at your markings (use masking tape and pencil, marker pen is not cool)
It should leave you with 2 lines close together nearer the front and 2 close to the back
Now check your compressed strut length against the 2 closest lines. If your two lines measures 20 and your strut measures 22" then add an inch onto each line. These will be your new mount marks. Use ypur original markings to centralise it.
Bonnet open
Position the rod on your new front bonnet mount mark and fully extend the strut and hopefully it will extend to your second new mount mark. If not.. adjust those new mount marks between your 2 closest original marked lines :)
That should work :) its been a while

Edited to now make sense :p... hopefully

I wouldn't use boot struts!
As K10 owners, we all know how crap they are!

In the winter months you'll be finding the bonnet hitting you on the head every few seconds!

Back