Trunk (boot) lid struts to hood (bonnet)?

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I had to change rear trunk struts due sound proofing of rear lid to stronger = stiffer ones. Lid gained weight so much that it didn't stay open anymore with stock ones. Parts guy said that originals are rated 320Nm, I replaced them with 500Nm ones. Lid opens now very easily and it's bit heavy to close.
Now I have pair of perfectly functional hood struts. Cars have struts on the hood, these Micra vehicles don't.
Has anyone fitted gas strut or struts to the hood of Micra?
-Mika-

Having done quite a bit of design work on machine enclosures/safety guards, fitted with gas struts, in my previous incarnation as a machine designer I can offer the following 'advice'
You will have to overcome a couple of basic design problems to do this properly.
Firstly the K1 bonnet probably weighs much less than half of the standard tail gate, so you will need to bleed some pressure from tailgate struts.
Secondly you will have to identify suitable attachment points on the body and on the bonnet, though I doubt very much that without some substantial cross bracing across the underside of the front of the bonnet, the bonnet will be stiff enough to accommodate the struts for very long before the bonnet distorts and/or the mounting points rip out :eek:

New brain fart related to hood struts. My friend has Opel Vectra, Vauxhall Vectra in your island.
Vectras have ~25cm, when extended, long struts for lifting the hood up.
Any thoughts of these John ?:rolleyes:

New brain fart related to hood struts. My friend has Opel Vectra, Vauxhall Vectra in your island.
Vectras have ~25cm, when extended, long struts for lifting the hood up.
Any thoughts of these John ?:rolleyes:
Due to the bonnet shape and the position of the headlights on the K12 Micra I'm finding it very hard to see how the struts can be mounted to the bonnet. the only logical place that allows the struts to be parallel with the bonnet/wing line is directly behind the head lights but that would necessitate a very short strut mounted back to the body in the area of the top suspension mount, really can't see it being feasible on the K12.......

Back