Blown the Engine

first of all, i know this is incorrect section. But the K12 Part of the forum is not so busy.
so here goes K12 DCI btw.

Was driving along. Traffic in front began slowing so I put into 3rd gear and began braking but the throttle fully opened and I started flying into the other cars, so i put into neutral and I tried to turn the key but it didn't work, so I slam on brake put into 5th gear and try to stall but by now all that pressing the clutch made rpm go right up past redline right to 6k and almost instantly went boom and oil everywhere in engine bay.

What the #### happened?

And Where the #### do i start?

that is the oil control rings within the turbo usually!

or somewhere oil is getting into your bores! as oil is closely related to diesel so when this happens there is no control of the engine as no spark to cut out! and as the oil is being pumped and pressured by the engine its a dangerous circle!

best thing to do to stop it is clamp the air feed from the turbo to starve the engine!!!

happened to a van down the road at from my work black smoke everywhere and then bang and a big fire in the van and made a mess when the engine went etc...

likely hood is that you burnt all the oil in the engine so it seized and boom!

so id guess a new engine is in order

so has it seized? I know i will need a new engine. I might break it for parts. Dunno if thats possible with a K12 as not much of a Market out there.

dunno you will only find out when you take it apart but did it just blow? probs over revved being a diesel and thats not good news!!!!

what ever you do if you have the car try putting oil into it and start it! wont be pretty lol

really? lol. I was thinking of trying to start her up tomorrow.

But the thing i find ####aed up is , I drive it max and it doesn't rev over 5050rpm. It it electronically limited just before it hits the limiter. Where the #### was the limiter this time? Why wasn't the limiter stopping it at 5050rpm.

####ing ####ty french ####ers!!!!!!!!!

i can see your anger mate! you said you turned the key off correct? meaning the electrics to the engine were disabled meaning no limiter!

also its probs limits it by the amount of fuel entering the enigne! however with engine oil it cannot limit this!

i bet plumes of smoke were coming out your exhaust

must have gone slowly!

altough ive been told when this happens its #### scary and people usually just bin it into a fance or something well done for keeping it in one piece and not hitting anything!

The diesel engines the same is a clio yeah?

Maybe they get simialr problems and can advise better as to what happens cause there aint alot of diesel guys on here.

I wasn't even looking at the road when all this happend lol!!!!!!!!!! thinking back i am surprised i didn't hit anyone.

I could have ended in the common straight ahead and be eaten by a bear :(

This happened to my Scenic Dci a few months ago, there i was just driving along at 30, when there was a slight pop and lo and behold the car started to accelerate on its own, so i pop it into neutral and coast it to a stop and pull out the ignition card and it keeps reving, with masses and masses of black smoke, it went on like this for about 3-4 mins till it eventually died. Got the car recovered and into the garage, turns out it was a massive failure of the turbo, so the engine was sucking oil into the cylinders and oil being nearly the same as diesel, it burn all this off. Lucky for me, my engine was ok as there wasnt enough oil coming through the turbo to be all burnt off, all in all it cost me £700 odd quid to be fixed as my intercooler had to be drained and cleaned and so did my FAP unit along with a new turbo, that said its got 100k on the clock with FSH and its never had a new turbo, and with it having a 190bhp remap, i guess it was only a matter of time lol.

BTW did it look/sound like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw2r_lIRgpY
not my car btw

LMFAO!!! That was epic.

It wasn't that bad the smoke. But yh the RPM was like that and instead of going on and on it just went pop within 5 seconds of the rpm sticking. I'm hoping a rod hasn't been thrown out of the block. But i cant find any damage to the car for this.

My one was also modified and i knew this would happen but not in such a dramatic way.

Here is the 0-60:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JtP27hUgdk

I was going to get it onto a dyno too see what it is producing but :(. The only upside of the car breaking is i have to use my beast for my run about.

Try turning the engine by hand thats will tell u if its still good to go but listen for any unusual noises etc might be salvagable

yh man, i gave my Jack and axle stands to my friend, i'll need to get them off him.
In order to turn it by hand i need to remove the wheel and arch lining to do it lol.

I'm going to go and try to start it in abit. I know the reason for it. But i'm not going to say.

Yep running on it's oil, the danger of overfilling a diesel engine oil! Never have that problem with a petrol ;)
Where abouts are you mate?

I'm From Aldershot mate.

Btw, Does anyone know some place that will change the engine over if i supply new one. Also will i need the new engines ECU or can the current one be used?

I'm From Aldershot mate.

Btw, Does anyone know some place that will change the engine over if i supply new one. Also will i need the new engines ECU or can the current one be used?

If you were closer I could swap the engine but it's a bit far

Most garages would do the work for you in swapping engines it would just be a case of finding a cheap reliable decent one.
:(
Good Luck!

i would of thought that ECU's would eb interchangeable an easy way to find out would be to call nissan... however car dealers tend to always say yes everything would need replacing.

I'd imagine the ecu won't need touching? Just swap the engine
What's involved
Remove all covers, wiring and pipes basically everything that's attached to the engine, steady the engine with a hoist of some description (a frame, crane etc) unbolt the gear box, undo the engine mounts pull it out. If it can be pulled through the top!
Otherwise same as above but don't remove the box just pop the shafts from the box and remove linkage/cables for the gear selector take the weight of the engine unbolt the subframe lower the engine to the ground, lift the car over the top
Few hours work removing and refitting I'd imagine if you got a crane a weekends work maybe get a mate to help

i can ask about the ecu`s when i`m at nissan on monday for you mate if you need me to i get on well with the servicing guys there so i know they won`t give me any rubbish an will just tell the truth just let me know :)

Back