Bleed Nipples/Valves.

Hi,
This is a follow up from a previous post earlier in the week.
I am trying to bleed the brakes, and can get the front nipples very easily, (car on stands and wheel off).
But the nipples on the drum brakes at the back seem to bin stuck between the bolt holding in the brake line and rim of the brakes. Cannot fit a socket over them or a spanner!
Has anyone done this in the past and got any tips?

Thanks kindly.

Thanks Mika,
I had a look at the video, which is really good, but it doesn’t show it bleeding.
Gonna give it an hour of trying to get it to budge and if not I will just put in a new wheel cylinder and a longer bleed nipple.
I think my problem is the rust on the drum brake parts has caused the parts to swell, stopping me getting my spanner or socket in their. So, I am going to go at them with a wire brush!

Thanks Mika,
I had a look at the video, which is really good, but it doesn’t show it bleeding.
Gonna give it an hour of trying to get it to budge and if not I will just put in a new wheel cylinder and a longer bleed nipple.
I think my problem is the rust on the drum brake parts has caused the parts to swell, stopping me getting my spanner or socket in their. So, I am going to go at them with a wire brush!

Hit the thing, & mean it many times with a 2 Lb or one killo lump hammer to disturb the rust thread seal. Get a offset ring spanner on the bleed nipple & whack that with the hammer if need be. That will shift it? Good luck.

Thanks for the tip, left some WD40 on it for a while, gave it a smack (or 4) then used a thinner socket from a mate.
Job was a good one.
Although I have discovered one of the guide pins on the driver side caliper needs sorting as the brake is rubbing!
Ah well, another excuse to tinker a bit. ☺️

Thanks for your help Mika and plmval

Back