Blaupunkt radio not working, electrical advice needed

ok, when i bought my used 94 model micra it didnt come with a radio,so i went to the breakers yard and got a blaupunkt radio cassette out of an n reg micra today to put in... (money is tight at the moment) anyway the wires fit ok and no iso kit was needed as its out of a k11. however, the radio wont light up, and no power seems to be getting to it. i changed the fuse in the back of the radio and also in the fuse box just to be on the safe side

i know the radio needs a code but surely it should still light up ?
is there an electrical test that can be done on the radio to see if its knackered??? some basic equipment i can use etc to test it. is it likely that a radio would not light up at all ie : no power,or could it be something else ??

any electrical advice appreciated :)

hummm, probably good old fuse gone mate, ave a look, failing that, it could be a duff unit. :)

as i said in my post, ive changed fuses and it still aint working
im just courious to know why its not working, if it a duff unit which part is likely to be faulty

are there any electronics experts on here who know about audio ?

if you have a multimeter, test that there's power flowing through the the power cord from your car to your headunit... if there's a reading, then you've obviously pinpointed that it's the headunit failing. Since it's from the wreckers, take the case off the headunit and look/smell for burning... hope that helps.. it'll keep you busy for a couple minutes at least lol

failing that, for a cheap test, buy a led thats designed for cars (got a 12v convertor in it - maplins, a pound odd) attach it to some wire and use that as a cheap car multimeter :D If it lights up when you stick the cable on, you have power, if not, problems with the wiring/components etc :)

Edit: Oh, sometimes the pins on the iso plugs dont mate properly - older iso sets have a tendancy to pull out (As I found when doing my HU!) so its worthwhile checking that they're all secure - I know ya said you dont need an iso as its out of another micra but not sure if K11's come with speed blocks or not :D

failing that, for a cheap test, buy a led thats designed for cars (got a 12v convertor in it - maplins, a pound odd) attach it to some wire and use that as a cheap car multimeter :D If it lights up when you stick the cable on, you have power, if not, problems with the wiring/components etc :)

Edit: Oh, sometimes the pins on the iso plugs dont mate properly - older iso sets have a tendancy to pull out (As I found when doing my HU!) so its worthwhile checking that they're all secure - I know ya said you dont need an iso as its out of another micra but not sure if K11's come with speed blocks or not :D

have you got a pic or link to the type of lead you were mentioning at maplins?? im not sure what im looking for

LED - Light Emitting Diode, not lead. But heres some links

Multimeter

12vdc LED

You can either use a proper multimeter, or as a cheap and cheerful fix just attach a bit of insulated wire to the led, and use the other ends of the wire as a cheap multimeter - if the led lights up you have power.

If you have power coming through the wiring to the head unit then something inside the HU is broken. In which case either try and fix it, or chuck it and scavange for a working HU.

sorted guys, it was a loose aerial lead that was causing it to not light up, the wire had come away from the solder so i just stripped the cable back to get more wire then taped it back on. job sorted, it didnt even ask me for a code for some reason

Hi Justmade it! I've got a similar problem to you - no lights on either the old Blaupunkt stereo or the new one, changed the fuse in the fusebox and its still playing up. Which bit of the aerial wire did you strip? Was it just the bit that pokes out of the hole in the dash, and plugs into the back of the stereo?

the bit behind the dash that plugs in to the stereo (the aerial wire) had come loose. take the plastic shield off the aerial lead that plugs in to your stereo and check that the wire has not come loose from the solder

it wasnt touching the solder on mine so i unclipped the wire, cut back some of the plastic wire to reveal more wire, then taped it back on so it was making a connection

Back