Big mess under the dash, what the hell?

So I got all the stuff I needed to install my stereo, then I see this big mess under the dash. I have a harness from the previous owner, rear speakers dont seem to lead anywhere so I couldn't connect them at all. Any ideas of what I should do to correct this and put in all new wires.

Also, while I was looking at this mess I mustve accidently pulled out the wiper fuse because they aren't working anymore either, great work from previous owner i say.

Any help would be much appreciated.

by the way, I have a k10 micra. tried to post some pics but no option to do so. purple wires for rear speakers are attached to the harness, but no further, it doesnt come out of the car only the harness. this is driving me crazy. i paid a good 350 eur for this i expect this baby to work like a lambo

ok for starters i dont think the k10 had rear speakers so would need to wire em in and run them up the sides of the car to parcel shelf etc. from the headunit
did you disconnect the battery when playing around with the stereo as you could have blown the fue :p
good luck (Y)
p.s pictures can be uploaded to photobucket.com and linked to on here :D

no, u got me wrong. I bought speakers to put in. But there is no wires coming from under the dash to connect to the head unit. ofcourse i didnt disconnect the battery. the speakers themselves connect to my amp.

my question actually is, how do i find out how to redo the wires that come from the car to the HU e.g. left speaker front, right front, power antenna, grnd blk etc. There are only like 3-4 wires coming out and i want to add rear speakers. how do i do this?

no, u got me wrong. I bought speakers to put in. But there is no wires coming from under the dash to connect to the head unit. ofcourse i didnt disconnect the battery. the speakers themselves connect to my amp.

my question actually is, how do i find out how to redo the wires that come from the car to the HU e.g. left speaker front, right front, power antenna, grnd blk etc. There are only like 3-4 wires coming out and i want to add rear speakers. how do i do this?

ok it will help immensly with pictures ok, :( let me see if im getting this straight... you could use RCA cables if the head unit supports it so RCA to amp then to speakers...
but yeah pictures would help sorry... in mine i have:
2x 10cm speakers at the front from headunit wiring
2x 6x9's on the parcel shelf from headunit wiring
1x Amped Sub from the RCA outputs

Also, while I was looking at this mess I mustve accidently pulled out the wiper fuse because they aren't working anymore either, great work from previous owner i say..
the same happend to me a few days ago... changed the fuse 5 minutes ago :D

ok, hope these pics help you understand what I mean, because so far you have it totally wrong. let me explain one more time.

ok. i cant see (under the dash) any cables for my rear speakers. you say it doesnt come with rear speaker wires, ok, fine. my question again is what can i do from the car end of things, to be able to have somewhere to plug my rear speakers from my HU into.

It has to be possible to connect rear speakers, but how, if you dont have the right wires coming out of your car?

I hope this is more clear, here's some pics.

http://s972.photobucket.com/albums/ae205/Daan84/

first i would disconnect the big plug end put it away, it's just a plug from a radio which got cut off by someone. the two smaller ones are important (brown and black). The black one is for the power. Important for you is the brown one. That is for the speaker signals.
iso_b.jpg

1:right rear +
2:right rear -
3:right front +
4:right front -
5:left front +
6:left front -
7:left rear +
8:left rear -

hope this is what you wanted to know. you only have to install new wires to the rear and plug them into the right place at the plug. then put the plugs, power and speaker, into your radio

/edit: I think it helps you if i upload the other plug layout too. you will know if all wires are connected then
iso_a.jpg

1: speed signal (unimportant)
2: telephone mute (think it's also unimportant)
3: empty
4: battery + (important)
5: remote (only for a amplyfier or something like this)
6: light signal (don't know if you need it, i don't need it for example
7: ignition + (important)
8: ground (important)

so if there are wires at the 4th, 7th and 8th pin everything is connected

Yeah best bet would be to follow alleks' advice and rewire the rears with new wire just I did as I said before :D

Alleks, I hope you're right. this has been killing me for a while now. Can you guys tell me also where these wires lead to? I dl your haynes shaun, did i miss something in there? I don't see where these stereo wires lead to..

Alleks, I hope you're right. this has been killing me for a while now. Can you guys tell me also where these wires lead to? I dl your haynes shaun, did i miss something in there? I don't see where these stereo wires lead to..

Well the haynes manual won't tell you anything because as I have said there were never rear speakers originally and the wiring diagram would be for the original stereo anyways you have to make new rear wires so buy some new wire connect it to the rear speaker wires on the harness (see alleks' diagrams)
route the wires down the side of the car to the rear and plug in speakers job done.
Good luck (Y)

Well the haynes manual won't tell you anything because as I have said there were never rear speakers originally and the wiring diagram would be for the original stereo anyways you have to make new rear wires so buy some new wire connect it to the rear speaker wires on the harness (see alleks' diagrams)
route the wires down the side of the car to the rear and plug in speakers job done.
Good luck (Y)

shaun,

this might sound retarded, but the brown and black thing up there in what alleks said is a harness right, both sides of it. all i have to do is plug all my #### into it? i plug my speaker plugs from the back of my headunit on one side, and the actual speaker wires on the other? Sorry, this is the first time I'm doing this and its a real mess.

Yeah your right as alleks said above the brown one is for speakers and the black is for power etc. So the big block can be taken off if it's easy enough for you take some pictures of the leads you got with the new headunit it might Need a new iso adapter for your specific head unit then it's virtually plug and play apart from new wires for the rear which is labelled above.
Shaun

Daan the best thing you can do now is go an buy yourself a multi meter. To run your stereo you need a constant live, ignition live and an earth. The wires coming out of the headunit will either have tags on them or there will be a sticker on it telling you what colour wire needs what.

Then using a multi-meter, set it to 20v (dc) and test the thick wires that are located near the stereo hole. with the igniton off you should get 12v down one wire and nothing down 2 other wires. With the ignition turned on then you should have 2 wires reading 12v's and 1 wire with nothing. This will now tell you which wire to connect to the head unit. With your headunit being modern you will have 4 or more wires on a seperate plug, you will be able to tell the difference by the thickness compared to the 3 power wires. You normally have purple, purple and black, grey, grey and black. The single colour on its own will be positve for a speaker with the single colour + black being the negative for that speaker. Now run your cables to your speakers and your done :D

Daan the best thing you can do now is go an buy yourself a multi meter. To run your stereo you need a constant live, ignition live and an earth. The wires coming out of the headunit will either have tags on them or there will be a sticker on it telling you what colour wire needs what.

Then using a multi-meter, set it to 20v (dc) and test the thick wires that are located near the stereo hole. with the igniton off you should get 12v down one wire and nothing down 2 other wires. With the ignition turned on then you should have 2 wires reading 12v's and 1 wire with nothing. This will now tell you which wire to connect to the head unit. With your headunit being modern you will have 4 or more wires on a seperate plug, you will be able to tell the difference by the thickness compared to the 3 power wires. You normally have purple, purple and black, grey, grey and black. The single colour on its own will be positve for a speaker with the single colour + black being the negative for that speaker. Now run your cables to your speakers and your done :D
why should he do it? the plugs are still there! he doesn't have to install new wires, only for the new rear speakers

Normally, when cars are this old in england, theyve had about 10 different owners, who each put in and remove thier cd player, which then leads to a mass of #### with spade connectors, scotch locks and tape. Which then makes it a whole lot easier to chop back to some un molested wire and solder the radio in.

yeah thats what crap, some people say cut it all off and start again, some say leave it, harness is there just plug it in. ahhh man.

hey man, i dont mean to be rude and i understand that text talk can be very confusing, but are you like slow mate? lol. I think this is quite clear.

210420101089copy.jpg

all you need is to wire 1:right rear + 2:right rear - 7:left rear + 8:left rear - from alleks's wiregram. if this doesnt help then im sorry.
by the way, cutting it all off and starting again would lead to success same as reusing it, but would take much longer. good luck

hey man, i dont mean to be rude and i understand that text talk can be very confusing, but are you like slow mate? lol. I think this is quite clear.

210420101089copy.jpg

all you need is to wire 1:right rear + 2:right rear - 7:left rear + 8:left rear - from alleks's wiregram. if this doesnt help then im sorry.
by the way, cutting it all off and starting again would lead to success same as reusing it, but would take much longer. good luck

210420101089copy.jpg

that was a bit rude actually. im not slow. im female idiot. and generally females dont know a thing about cars. so trying to learn this is like a week has been a bit of a challenge especially when you have no idea.

since when is it a crime to want to be 100%? it's not your car im ####ing with is it? its mine, and if something ####ed up on it it's my problem, not yours. i asked for help, not for an idiot like you to #### yourself about how clear the instructions were. dickhead.

thanks for your help alleks, shaun ;). but what i did was cut everything off, the whole harness. works perfect :) thanks for all your advice anyway ..

you are famale? that explains a lot. lol. btw sorry for spending my time to draw that pic for ya.

i see now why no one ever thanks you. glad there are guys like shaun and alleks who REALLY help, i see you're just here to be funny "lol". someone needs to get off the computer a bit more..."lol" :)

Glad it's sorted but wouldn't this lead to problems in the future with another head unit?

i dont think so.. i kept everything you guys told me to. all i would have to do is follow the diagram from alleks and plug it all back in.. it is a bit chinese when u haven't done it before.. i think i was more worried about it then i should have been!

again, many thanks for the time you both took to reply to me :):):)

you are famale? that explains a lot. lol. btw sorry for spending my time to draw that pic for ya.

you know what..im actually sorry for wasting your time, it looks like you could've spent quite a bit of time drawing that for me, 2 maybe 3 hrs. paint is a very difficult program to use (i know, im female :))

Back